Planning for Achieving Sustainability
This chapter is about the major planning models that water utilities use to monitor and manage their short- and long-term operations. This chapter briefly describes general utility planning then focuses on elements of strategic planning. General Utility Planning (GUP) consists of two distinct but related areas: operations planning and capital improvement planning. Strategic Sustainability Planning (SSP) consists of a combination of elements from three planning models: strategic planning, asset management planning, and financial planning.
KeywordsOperations planning Capital improvement planning Financial planning Strategic planning Asset management
- City of Boulder. 2011. Water quality strategic plan 2009. Accessed August 29, 2018 from https://bouldercolorado.gov/water/water-utility-master-plan.
- CRPUD (City of Raleigh Public Utilities Department). 2013. Strategic plan and change. Accessed August 24, 2018 from file:///C:/Users/David/Downloads/StrategicPlanforWeb%20(1).pdf.
- CSU (Colorado Springs Utilities). 2018. Strategic planning. Accessed August 24, 2018 from www.csu.org/pages/strategic-planning-r.aspx.
- CWW (Columbus Water Works). Strategic plan. Accessed August 24, 2018 from www.cwwga.org/plaintext/aboutus/strategicplan.aspx.
- EPA (Environmental Protection Agency). 2008. Effective utility management: A primer for water and wastewater utilities. Accessed August 19, 2018 from https://nepis.epa.gov/Exe/ZyPDF.cgi/P10053BJ.PDF?Dockey=P10053BJ.PDF.
- EPA (Environmental Protection Agency). 2016. Planning for sustainability: A handbook for water and wastewater utilities. Accessed November 7, 2017 from www.epa.gov/sites/production/files/2016-01/documents/planning-for-sustainability-a-handbook-for-water-and-wastewater-utilities.pdf.
- ERWSD (Eagle River Water and Sanitation District). 2015. Mission, vision and values. Accessed August 30, 2018 from www.erwsd.org/about/mission-vision-values/.
- Global Water. 2011. Inflow and Infiltration. New York: Xylem Inc. Accessed August 25, 2018 from www.globalw.com/support/inflow.html.
- SPU (Seattle Public Utilities). 2018. 2019 Strategic plan. Accessed August 24, 2018 from www.seattle.gov/util/Documents/Plans/Water/WaterSystemPlan/index.htm.