Pathways to Sustainable Agriculture
This chapter examines water’s role in sustainable agriculture and the approaches taken to achieve sustainability, including transformational changes in the way agriculture is managed, and how farm-specific technologies are implemented. Two broad management pathways that are reshaping the way agriculture is practiced are helping farmers around the world prepare for supplying the 60% increase in foodstuffs that will be needed by 2050 by the growing world population. The first is Climate Smart Agriculture (CSA); the second is Conservation Agriculture (CA).
KeywordsClimate smart agriculture Conservation agriculture Irrigation methods Mulching Reduced tillage Crop rotation
- Agrihome Expressions. 2016. Conservation agriculture (CA): Increase yields and improve farmlands. Accessed August 14, 2018 from http://agrihomegh.com/conservation-agriculture-benefits/.
- ATS Irrigation, Inc. 2018. What are the different types of farm irrigation systems? Accessed August 15, 2018 from www.atsirrigation.com/what-are-the-different-types-of-farm-irrigation-systems/.
- Baker, C.J., K.E. Saxton, and R.R. Ritchie. 2002. No-Till Seeding: Science and Practice, 2nd ed. Oxford, UK: CAB International.Google Scholar
- Berger, Amélie, Theodor Friedrich, and Josef Kienzle. 2010. Conservation agriculture. In Soils, Plant Growth and Crop Production, ed. Willy H. Verheye, vol. 1, 79–105. Oxford: EOLSS Publishing.Google Scholar
- CCAFS (Climate Change, Agriculture and Food Security). 2014. Climate smart agriculture. Wageningen University and Research, The Netherlands. Accessed August 11, 2018 from https://ccafs.cgiar.org/climate-smart-agriculture-0#.W28Vfc5KiUk.
- FAO (Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations). 2012. China: Geography, climate and population: Water report. Aquastat, Food and Agriculture Organization of the UN. Accessed December 9, 2017 from www.fao.org/nr/water/aquastat/countries_regions/CHN/.
- Farming First. 2013. Enhancing sustainable development through agriculture: Applying the Farming First principles to increase water use efficiency. Accessed January 21, 2018 from https://farmingfirst.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/FarmingFirst-Water-Paper.pdf.
- Hobbs, Peter R. 2006. Conservation agriculture: What it is and why is it important for future sustainable food production? Paper presented at the international workshop on Increasing Wheat Yield Potential, Obregon, Mexico, March 20–24.Google Scholar
- Levidow, Les, Daniele Zaccaria, Rodrigo Maia, Eduardo Vivas, Mladen Todorovic, and Alessendra Scardigno. 2014. Improving water-efficient irrigation: Prospects and difficulties of innovative practices. Agricultural Water Management 46: 4184–4194.Google Scholar
- Slavikova, Sara. 2018. 10 benefits of crop rotation in agriculture. Accessed August 14, 2018 from https://greentumble.com/10-benefits-of-crop-rotation/.
- UN (United Nations). 2014a. International decade for action ‘Water for Life’ 2005–2015. Accessed November 5, 2017 from http://www.un.org/waterforlifedecade/food_security.shtml.
- UN (United Nations). 2014b. World water development report 2014: Water and energy. Accessed July 2018 from http://www.unesco.org/new/en/natural-sciences/environment/water/wwap/wwdr/2014-water-and-energy/.