The European Perspective
The aim of this chapter is to address whether or not the increased salience of the cultural dimension that we observe in Britain is shared elsewhere in Europe. I first look at earlier studies that have been carried out on other European cases, both with regard to patterns of political competition overall and with regard to how recent changes have affected the party system. I then draw on a new source of opinion data, provided by the Voting Advice Application EUvox from across Europe, to identify the most salient political dimensions. I find that the pattern of political competition that we observed in Britain in Chapter 3 is shared by many Northern European countries and find marked similarities between the party systems of Britain, Denmark and France in terms of the positions that party voters occupy in the three countries with respect to the most salient dimensions.
KeywordsEuropean political parties “winners” and “losers” of globalisation Electoral systems Populist right parties
- Beramendi, P., Häusermann, S., Kitschelt, H., & Kriesi, H. (2015). Introduction: The Politics of Advanced Capitalism. In P. Beramendi, S. Häusermann, H. Kitschelt, & H. Kriesi (Eds.), The Politics of Advanced Capitalism (pp. 1–64). New York: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- Edles, L. D. (1998). Symbol and Ritual in the New Spain: The Transition to Democracy After Franco. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- Häusermann, S., & Kriesi, H. (2015). What Do Voters Want? Dimensions and Configurations in Individual-Level Preferences and Party Choice. In P. Beramendi, S. Häusermann, H. Kitschelt, & H. Kriesi (Eds.), The Politics of Advanced Capitalism (pp. 202–230). New York: Cambridge University Press.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Kriesi, H., Grande, E., Lachat, R., Dolezal, M., Bornschier, S., & Frey, T. (2008). West European Politics in the Age of Globalization. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. Google Scholar
- Lipset, S. M., & Rokkan, S. (1967). Cleavage Structures, Party Systems, and Voter Alignments: An Introduction. In S. M. Lipset & S. Rokkan (Eds.), Party Systems and Voter Alignments: Cross-National Perspectives (pp. 1–64). New York: Free Press. Google Scholar
- Mendez, F., & Manavopoulos, V. (2018). EUvox2014: Voting Advice Application Data for the 2014 European Parliament elections [Data file and codebook]. Available from GESIS Datorium. https://doi.org/10.7802/1750.
- Wheatley, J., & Mendez, F. (forthcoming). Reconceptualising Dimensions of Political Competition in Europe: A Demand Side Approach. British Journal of Political Science.Google Scholar