Unveiling the Profile of Tourists in Islands with Protected Areas to Promote Sustainable Tourism
This research aims to understand the profile and the type of tourists that visit islands with protected areas such as national parks or Natura 2000 areas. For this reason a study was implemented in Zakynthos Island during the summer 2013. The questionnaire-based survey involved 2981 participants and the results revealed the tourists’ profile, their social-demographic characteristics, their environmental awareness and the degree of their recreational satisfaction. The results of this survey could help local authorities to understand the perceptions of tourists. Visitors’ profile and preferences analysis is crucial for the compilation of a strategic plan, as well as for the implementation of an adapted environmental policy. The design of a model for the sustainable development of the island by integrating the environment and the awareness of tourists and of the local communities would be the next goal.
KeywordsPublic awareness Eco-tourism Experimental studies Ionian sea
- Avdimiotis, S., Christou, E., Sigala M. (2009). From development to decline. Tracing the life circle notifications of a destination. Journal of Environmental Protection and Ecology, 10(4), 205–1217.Google Scholar
- Drumm, A., Moore, A. (2002). Ecotourism development: a manual for conservation planners and managers. In Vol 1. An introduction to ecotourism planning. Arlington: The nature conservancy.Google Scholar
- Dutra, V., Senna, M., Ferreira, M., & Adorno, L. (2008). Caracterizacao do perfil e da qualidade da experiencia dos visitantes no Parque Estadual do Jalapao Tocantins. Caderno Virtual de Turismo, 1(8), 104–117.Google Scholar
- Folke, C., Carpenter, S., Elmqvist, T., Gunderson, L., Holling, C.S., Walker, B., Bengtsson, J., Berkes, F., Colding, J., Danell, K., Falkenmark, M., Gordon, L., Kasperson, R., Kautsky, N., Kinzig,., Levin, S., M¨aker, L.-G., Moberg, F., Ohlsson, L., Olsson, P., Ostrom, E., Reid, W., Rockstrom, J., Savenije, H., & Svedin, U. (2002). Resilience and sustainable development: building adaptive capacity in a world of transformations. Background Paper for WSSD, ICSU Series for Sustainable Development No. 3. Johannesburg, Resilience Alliance for the Swedish Environmental Advisory Council and the International Council for Science. http://www.salliance.org/reports/resilienceandsustainabledevelopment.pdf.
- Hunter, C., Green, H. (1995). Tourism and the Environment: A Sustainable Relationship (212 p). London: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Karris, G., Xirouchakis, S., Grivas, C., Voulgaris, M. D., Sfenthourakis, S., & Giokas, S. (2017). Estimating the population size of Scopoli’s Shearwaters (Calonectris diomedea) frequenting the Strofades islands (Ionian Sea, western Greece) by raft counts and surveys of breeding pairs. North-Western Journal of Zoology, 13(1), 101–108.Google Scholar
- Kokkali, A., & Edwards, J. (2011). Assessment of the supply for the demand of tourism experiences in the National Marine Park of Zakynthos (NMPZ). In Proceedings of International Conference on Tourism (ICOT) “Tourism in Era of Uncertainty.” Rhodes, Greece, pp. 356–370.Google Scholar
- Pimber, M., & Pretty, J. (1997). Diversity and sustainability in community based conservation. Paper presented at the UNESCO-IIPA regional workshop on Community-based Conservation, February 9–12, 1997, India.Google Scholar
- Rao, K., Nautiyal, S., Maikhuri, R., & Saxena, Κ. (2003). Local Peoples’ Knowledge, Aptitude and Perceptions of Planning and Management Issues in Nanda Devi Biosphere Reserve. India. Environmental Management., 31(2), 168–181.Google Scholar
- Wadih H.E (2005) Identifying and assessing tourism impact factors on localities and their nations: with illustrations from Santorini. Master Thesis. University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati.Google Scholar