Museum Cluster in a Small City: Evidence from Russia
The article reveals the specificity of small museum forms that have developed over the past decade. The case of the small peripheral Urals city Irbit analyzed in the context of the cultural urban environment. The opportunities to form museum cluster in Irbit identified, strengths and weaknesses of prospective cluster development discussed, and recommendations for small museums further development offered, with special attention paid to logistics, technical equipment and infrastructure issues.
KeywordsMuseum Small city Culture Digital technologies Tourism Russia
JEL ClassificationR110 Z320 Z110
This paper is prepared with the financial support of Russian Science Foundation (project No. 17-18-01324 “Sustainable development of the territorial economy through networking of small cities and district centers”).
- Alberta Parks (2018). Dinosaur provincial park. Retrieved from https://www.albertaparks.ca/parks/south/dinosaur-pp/.
- Alexander, E. P., Alexander, M., & Decker, J. (2017). Museums in motion: An introduction to the history and functions of museums (3rd ed.). Lanham: Rowman & Littlefield.Google Scholar
- Artnet (2018). The Guggenheim Bilbao, 20 Years Later. https://news.artnet.com/art-world/the-bilbao-effect-20th-anniversary-1111583.
- Guggenheim Museum (2018). Retrieved from https://www.guggenheim-bilbao.eus/en.
- Hein, H. S. (2000). The museum in transition: A philosophical perspective. Washington, DC: Smithsonian Institution Press.Google Scholar
- Hsin-Yi-Lo (2010). When the local encounters Museum: The history of development in Yilan County and Taiwan. Symposium on Taiwan experience and interdisciplinary culture. Lanyang Museum.Google Scholar
- Hua Lin, S. (2013). Arts education through coordination with community and museum.Google Scholar
- Irbit (2018). Portal of the city Irbit administration. Retrieved from http://moirbit.ru/social/kultura.
- It’s My City (2012). The story of one masterpiece. Retrieved from https://itsmycity.ru/2012-11-27/istoriya-odnogo-shedevra-kak-podlinnik-rubensa-popal-v-gluhuyu-uralskuyu-provinciyu.
- Lin, S. (2013). Arts education through coordination with community and museum. In International Conference on Advanced Information Engineering and Education Science (ICAIEES 2013). Atlantis Press.Google Scholar
- Macdonald, S. J. (2003). Museums, national, postnational and transcultural identities. Museum and Society, 1(1), 1–16.Google Scholar
- Matelic, C. T. (2011). New roles for small museums. Small museum toolkit. In Book four: Reaching out and responding to the audience, (pp. 141–162).Google Scholar
- PwC (2015). The Sverdlovsk Region Investment Guide. Retrieved from https://www.pwc.ru/ru/doing-business-in-russia/assets/pwc-invest-sverdlovsk-en.pdf.
- Reibel, D. B. (2017). Registration methods for the small museum. Lanham: Rowman & Littlefield.Google Scholar
- Rose, G. (2016). Visual methodologies: An introduction to researching with visual materials. Thousand Oaks: Sage.Google Scholar
- Sheresheva, M. Y., & Kolkov, M. Y. (2018). The role of museums in the tourism development with the participation of small cities (the case-study of Vladimir Region). Service & Tourism & Current Challenges, 12(1), 120–133.Google Scholar
- Stocks, Z. (2014). Activist social work in small museums: a community-level exploration. Doctoral dissertation.Google Scholar
- The Concept of the Museum Area Development in the Sverdlovsk Region until 2020. Retrieved from http://docs.cntd.ru/document/423841166.
- The Strategy for the Development of Incoming and Entry Tourism in the Sverdlovsk Region until 2030. Retrieved from http://economy.midural.ru/sites/default/files/files/strategiya_razvitiya_turizma_sverdlovskoy_oblasti_do_2030_goda.pdf.
- Vasiliadis, L., Trivellas, P., Belias, D., Meleas, J., Kyriakou, D., & Koustelios, A. (2016). Cultural tourism revisited: The case of Thessaly. In Tourism and culture in the age of innovation (pp. 69–78). Springer, Cham.Google Scholar
- Weil, S. (2012). Making museums matter. Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution.Google Scholar
- Yin, R. K. (2017). Case study research and applications: Design and methods. Thousand Oaks: Sage publications.Google Scholar