The Potential of Street Art. Obstacles to the Commercialization of Street Art and Proposed Solutions
The recent commercialization of public art in Europe has placed Street art in one of the most powerful artistic sectors of the creative industry. The contracting of street artist for wall paintings by the public, private and academic sectors, has promoted the artist itself, and has generated a public acceptance of these creative resources. This institutionalization of the urban art movement in Europe has led to a museum recognition status of these spaces, which has resulted in the official declaration of outdoor museums such as Brussels, Portugal or Paris. Moreover, it can be seen as the development of public art proposals that give color to neighborhoods, providing Europe with uncountable, highly creative and innovative public spaces. As a result, the European Union street art industry produces annually over 180.000 new works, playing an active and vibrant role in urban environments by modifying the perception of its surroundings. The unique style, energy and innovation of street art has also a huge potential to be re-used and inspire other Cultural and Creative Industries, being in fact a vital economic driver for most CCIs. However, the numerous online collections of street art photographs are poorly managed and inefficiently catalogued, making content difficult to repurpose and reuse by potential users for their needs. Besides, street art photographs do not truly reflect the transformative nature of the wall paintings surrounding environment.
KeywordsStreet art Cultural and creative industries Creative spaces Urban environments Digital content
JEL ClassificationZ11 Economics of the arts and literature Z18 public policy Z32 tourism and development O34 intellectual property and intellectual capital O52 europe
This paper has been developed within the research project, conducted by Professor Santamarina-Campos, ‘Art, registration and transfer. Tools for smart digital content in the public art’ (APE/2017/030), Generalitat Valenciana (Valencia Region, Spain).
- Ads of the World. (2018). McDonald’s: MacFries Pedestrian Crossing. Retrieved March 24, 2018 from www.adsoftheworld.com/media/ambient/mcdonalds_macfries_pedestrian_crossing.
- Alamy. (2018). ‘Stock Photo - Street art on movie set of Ready Player One by director Steven Spielberg. Retrieved March 28, 2018 from http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-street-art-on-movie-set-of-ready-player-one-by-director-steven-spielberg-123581159.html
- American Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works. (2018). Retrieved March 3, 2018 from http://www.conservation-us.org/
- Art Crimes. (2017). The Writing on the Wall - graffiti art worldwide. Retrieved February 28, 2018 from https://www.graffiti.org/
- Beautify Earth. (2018). Painting the World in Color. Beautify Earth. Retrieved May 16, 2018 from https://beautifyearth.org/
- Boom. (2008). Adidas goes Green. Retrieved March, 24 2018 from http://www.booooooom.com/2008/07/03/adidas-goes-green.
- CAMEO. (2018) Retrieved March 3, 2018 from http://cameo.mfa.org/wiki/Main_Page.
- CCO Commons. (2018). Cataloging Cultural Objects. Retrieved March 3, 2018 from http://cco.vrafoundation.org/
- Chang, N. (2014). Street Art Sparkle as a New Economic Driver in Penang. First International Conference on creative media, design & technology.Google Scholar
- CIDOC. (2018) Retrieved March 3, 2018 from http://network.icom.museum/cidoc/
- Coca-Cola Company. (2018). How a Brazilian Street Artist and Leeds Design Studio Created Coke’s FIFA World Cup Identity. Retrieved 28 March 2018 from http://www.coca-colacompany.com/stories/world-cup-identity
- Cordts, M. et al. (2016). The Cityscapes Dataset for Semantic Urban Scene Understanding. Retrieved March 28, 2018 from https://www.cityscapes-dataset.com/
- Cruzcampo. (2016). Anuncios de cervezas, CruzcampoCruZial 2016. Retrieved 28, March 2018 from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01xifSkTvAg
- Den of Geek. (2018). Ready Player One. Retrieved May 28, 2018 from http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/go/43064
- EUR-Lex. (2018). Towards an integrated approach to cultural heritage for Europe. Retrieved May 16, 2018 from http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=COM:2014:0477:FIN
- European Commission. (2018). Cultural tourism- Crecimiento. Retrieved May 16, 2018 from https://ec.europa.eu/growth/sectors/tourism/offer/cultural_es
- EY. (2014). Creating growth - Measuring cultural and creative markets in the EU. Retrieved May 16, 2018 from http://www.ey.com/FR/fr/Industries/Media—Entertainment/EY-creating-growth
- Farhadi, A., et al. (2010). Every picture tells a story: generating sentences from images. In K. Daniilidis, P. Maragos, & N. Paragios (Eds.) Computer vision – ECCV 2010: 11th european conference on computer vision (pp. 15–29), Heraklion, Crete, Greece, September 5–11, 2010, Proceedings, Part IV, Berlin, Heidelberg: Springer Berlin HeidelbergGoogle Scholar
- Fat Cap. (2018). Street-art and Graffiti. Retrieved February 28, 2018 from http://www.fatcap.com/
- Getty Research Institute. (2018a). Art & Architecture Thesaurus. Retrieved March 2, 2018 from http://www.getty.edu/research/tools/vocabularies/aat/
- Getty Research Institute. (2018b). Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names. Retrieved March 3, 2018 from http://www.getty.edu/research/tools/vocabularies/tgn/
- Getty Research Institute. (2018c). Cultural Objects Name Authority. Retrieved March 3, 2018 from http://www.getty.edu/research/tools/vocabularies/cona/
- Getty Research Institute. (2018d). Getty Union List of Artist Names. Retrieved March 3, 2018 from http://www.getty.edu/research/tools/vocabularies/ulan/
- Getty Research Institute. (2018e). Categories for the Description of Works of Art. Retrieved March 3, 2018 from http://www.getty.edu/research/publications/electronic_publications/cdwa/
- Gibson, L. (2015). Dismaland Revenue - a Freedom of Information request to North Somerset Council’. WhatDoTheyKnow. Retrieved May 16 2018 from https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/dismaland_revenue.
- Hamilton, K. (2015). Good Job With The Graffiti, Dying Light. Retrieved 28 March 2018 from http://kotaku.com/good-job-with-the-graffiti-dying-light-1685739843.
- Harvey, D. (2015). Banksy’s Dismalandgave Weston-super-Mare a £20 m boost. BBC News. Retrieved March 28 2018 from https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-bristol-34347681
- Honda (2013). Mind Blowing, 3D Art illusions in the last TV Commercial for Honda. Retrieved March 28, 2018 from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNC0X76-QRI
- Hunt, J. (2018). Lipton Ice Tea: Project green. Retrieved 28, March 2018 from http://cargocollective.com/joshuahunt/Lipton-Ice-Tea-Project-green
- Hunter, T. (2010). Street Art Photo Shoots: Collection Graffiti Hair Trends. Retrieved March 28, 2018 from http://www.trendhunter.com/trends/collection-graffiti-hair-trends-2010
- Karpathy, A. & Fei-Fei, L. (2015). Deep visual-semantic alignments for generating image descriptions. In 2015 IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR), (pp. 3128–3137), Los Alamitos, CA, USAGoogle Scholar
- Kirk, M. (2017). Banksy’s New West Bank Hotel Showcases a City Under Occupation, CityLab. Retrieved May 16 2018 from https://www.citylab.com/navigator/2017/03/banksys-new-venture-shows-a-city-under-occupation/518838/
- Lokallegend. (2014). Kiesza - Hideaway (Official Video). Retrieved March 28, 2018 from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vnoz5uBEWOA
- Nissan. (2011) Retrieved March 28, 2018 from http://pleix.net/following/pleix.net/Nissan-Qashqai
- Pfizer. (2018). 3D Street Painting Pfizer. Retrieved March 24, 2018 from http://www.3d-street-art.com/38-3d-chalk-art-pfizer.php
- Pop Culture Now. (2016). Ready Player One. Retrieved May 28, 2018 from http://comicbook.com/popculturenow/2016/09/06/new-ready-player-one-set-photos-revealed-/
- P-REACT. (2018). P-REACT. Retrieved March 1, 2018 from http://p-react.eu/
- PSFK. (2010). A Guerrilla Street Art Campaign for Amnesty International. Retrieved March 24 2018 from. https://www.psfk.com/2010/12/a-guerrilla-street-art-campaign-for-amnesty-international.html
- PSFK. (2012). Street Artist Redesigns Luxury Caviar Packaging. Retrieved March 28, 2018 from https://www.psfk.com/2012/04/street-artist-caviar.html
- Sanchez, R. (2017). The Walled Off Hotel: Banksy opens dystopian tourist attraction in Bethlehem. The Telegraph. Retrieved March 28, 2018 from http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/03/03/walled-hotel-banksy-opens-dystopian-tourist-attraction-bethlehem/.
- Street and More. (2018). Retrieved March 28, 2018 from http://www.streetandmore.com.
- Street Art Utopia. (2018). Street Art Utopia. Retrieved February 28, 2018 from http://www.streetartutopia.com/
- Superweoz. (2017). La Bella y La Bestia. Retrieved March 28 2018 from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXWNrTAve9Q&list=PL6lFqeWOhtkEfU12woLKOLLzg0kgr1YJe&index=2&t=0s
- Suzuki. (2014). Street Art TV Commercial. Retrieved March 28, 2018 from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIYrAA-mwEM
- The News Wheel. (2015). UK Commercials for Hyundai i20. Spotlights Visionary Street Art Creations. Retrieved March 28 from http://thenewswheel.com/hyundai-i20-uk-ad-kelly-brook-brands-funniest-commercial-ever/
- TheDieline. (2015). Perrier Street Art Limited Edition. Retrieved 28 March 2018 from http://www.thedieline.com/blog/2015/9/30/perrier-street-art-limited-edition.
- TrendHunter. (2018). Street Art Bottle Packaging : street art limited-edition. Retrieved 28 March 2018 from http://www.trendhunter.com/trends/street-art-limitededition
- The Loop. (2018). Online Creative Portfolios and Creative Jobs. Retrieved 28 March 2018 from https://www.theloop.com.au/JacintaFintan/portfolio/film-set-curator-street-art-murals/274237.
- Urban Forms Foundation. (2018). Urban Forms Gallery. Retrieved May 16 2018 from https://artsandculture.google.com/partner/urban-forms-foundation.
- Urban Land Magazine. (2015). Transforming Cities through Art and Culture. Retrieved March 24 2018 from http://urbanland.uli.org/planning-design/transformative-cities-power-art-culture/.
- Ultra Music, Alex Mills - Be Somebody (Official Video). Retrieved March 28, 2018 from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vA8DZb5q8H8
- Van Poll, D. (2016). Cities Embracing Street Art for City Branding. Huffington Post. Retrieved May 16, 2018 from https://www.huffingtonpost.com/bart-van-poll/cities-embracing-street-a_b_10053996.html
- WideWalls. (2011a).10 Street Art Fashion Collaborations.Retrieved March 24 2018 from http://www.widewalls.ch/10-fashion-collaborations/.
- WideWalls. (2011b). 10 Urban Art Hotels. Retrieved March 28, 2018 from http://www.widewalls.ch/10-urban-art-hotels/.
- WideWalls. (2011c). BIBO - Street Art Restaurant. Retrieved March 28, 2018 from http://www.widewalls.ch/bibo-street-art-restaurant/.
- WideWalls. (2011d).10 Print Publishing Houses: The Source of Cool Collectibles. Retrieved March 28, 2018 from http://www.widewalls.ch/10-print-publishing-houses-the-source-of-cool-collectibles.
- WideWalls. (2011e). Nike - Air Max Can Be Street Art. Retrieved March 28, 2018 from http://www.widewalls.ch/10-best-street-art-ads/nike/.
- World Travel and Tourism Council. (2015). Travel &Tourism - Economic Impact 2015. Retrieved May 16 2018 from https://www.wttc.org/-/media/files/reports/economic%20impact%20research/regional%202015/europe2015.pdf
- Wynwood Walls. (2018).Wynwood Walls - Urban Graffiti Art Miami. Retrieved March 24 2018 from http://www.thewynwoodwalls.com/