Remaking ‘The Broken Society’
The development, aims and impacts of four high priority Coalition policy strategies: Moving from ‘big government to ‘Big Society’. ‘Localism’ and the devolution of powers from the centre to people and groups locally. ‘Early intervention’ into the lives of ‘at risk’ children and their families. The ‘troubled families’ programme and its efforts to more effectively co-ordinate services’ response to them. The impacts of these policies on youth policies generally. Their contribution in many areas to redefining the role of youth worker as ‘child saver’ rather than informal educator.
- Barnard, Hilary. 2010. Big Society, Cuts and Consequences: A Thinkpiece. Cass Business School. November.Google Scholar
- Chanan, Gabriel and Miller, Colin. 2011. The Big Society and Public Services: Complementarity or Erosion? Paces. https://www.scribd.com/document/46256387/Big-Society-Public-Services-Press-Release.
- Cooper, Charlie. 2012. ‘Understanding the English “Riots” of 2011: “Mindless Criminality” or Youth “Mekin Histri” in Austerity Britain?’ Youth and Policy. Vol. 109. September, pp. 6–26.Google Scholar
- Crossley, Stephen. 2015. ‘The Troubled Families Programme: The Perfect Social Policy?’ Centre for Crime and Justice Studies. https://www.crimeandjustice.org.uk/sites/crimeandjustice.org.uk/files/The%20Troubled%20Families%20Programme%2C%20Nov%202015.pdf.
- DCLG. 2016a. The First Troubled Families Programme 2012–2015: An Overview. October.Google Scholar
- DCLG. 2016b. National Evaluation of the Troubled Families Programme: Final Synthesis Report. October.Google Scholar
- de St Croix, Tania. 2015. ‘Volunteers and Entrepreneurs? Youth Work and the Big Society’, in Bright, Graham (ed), Youth Work: Histories, Policy, Contexts. London: Palgrave, pp. 58–79.Google Scholar
- GOV.UK. 2011a. Early Intervention: The Next Steps. January.Google Scholar
- GOV.UK. 2011b. Early Intervention: Smart Investment, Massive Savings. July.Google Scholar
- NCIA. 2014. ‘How Local Is Localism? The Grassroots View’. http://legacy.independentaction.net/wp-content/uploads/sites/8/2015/12/How-Local-is-Localism-Legacy.pdf.
- NCIA. 2015. ‘What Now for Localism?’ http://legacy.independentaction.net/wp-content/uploads/sites/8/2015/12/What-Now-for-Localism-Legacy.pdf.
- NCVYS. 2010. ‘Building the Big Society: A Briefing Paper…’. May.Google Scholar