Practice Under Pressure: From Youth Work to ‘Positive Activities’
New Labour’s view of youth work and its redefinition as ‘positive activities’ rather than informal education. Within the notion of ‘positive activities’, the relationship of task and process as the latter is understood and used within open access youth work. The aims and development of the MyPlace youth building programme and of the government’s efforts to prompt more youth work facilities to open at weekends. The relationship of these initiatives to the ‘positive activities’ agenda. Key New Labour legacies for youth work and the local authority Youth Service.
- Cole, Bob. 2005. ‘Youth Policy 1995–2005: From “The Best Start” to “Youth Smatters”’. Youth and Policy. No. 89, Autumn, pp. 7–19.Google Scholar
- Davies, Bernard. 2008. The New Labour Years: A History of the Youth Service in England, Volume 3, 1997–2007. Leicester: The National Youth Agency.Google Scholar
- Davies, Bernard. 2015. ‘Whatever Happened to the Youth Service? A Brief and Critical Look at Its Development—And Demise’. IDYW. https://indefenceofyouthwork.files.wordpress.com/2015/07/ysprocon.pdf.
- Davies, Bernard and Merton, Bryan. 2009. Squaring the Circle? Findings of a “Modest Enquiry” into the State of Youth Work in Some Children and Young People’s Services. De Montfort University. April.Google Scholar
- Feasey, Don. 1972. “Why Activities?”, in Davies, Bernard and Rogers, Jennifer (eds), Working with Youth. London: BBC, pp. 17–24.Google Scholar
- Feinstein, L., et al. 2005. Leisure Contexts in Adolescence and Their Effects on Adult Outcomes. London: Institute of Education.Google Scholar
- Ord, Jon. 2016. Youth Work Process, Product and Practice: Creating an Authentic Curriculum in Work with Young People. London: Routledge, Chapters 13, 14.Google Scholar
- Ritchie, Daisy and Ord, Jon. 2016, “Making the Case Through Research for Open Access Youth Work”. Journal of Youth Studies. Vol. 20, No. 3. https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/13676261.2016.1212162.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Sercombe, Howard. 2015. ‘In the Service of the State: Youth Work Under New Labour’, in Bright, Graham (ed), Youth Work: Histories, Policy & Contexts. London: Palgrave, pp. 38–57.Google Scholar
- Tyler, Mary. 2009. ‘Managing the Tensions’, in Wood, Jason and Jean, Hine (eds), Work with Young People. London: Sage, pp. 233–246.Google Scholar