Introduction to Disaster and Emergency Management Science
GIS applications in disaster management are progressively turning into a necessary component of disaster and emergency management activities in many parts of the world. The time considerations are extremely critical in emergency management operations.
- Alexander, D. E. (1993). Natural Disasters. London: UCL Press.Google Scholar
- Bakht, H. (2004). Some applications of mobile ad-hoc networks. Computing Unplugged Magazine. http://www.computingunplugged.com/issues/issue200409/00001371001.html.
- Becerra-Fernandez, I., Prietula, M., et al. (2008). Design and development of a virtual emergency operations center for disaster management research, training, and discovery. In: Proceedings of the 41st annual Hawaii international conference on system sciences.Google Scholar
- Chrisman, N. (2006). Charting the unknown: How computer mapping at Harvard became GIS. Redlands,CA: Esri Press.Google Scholar
- Christakos, G., Bogaert, P., & Serre, M. (2002). Temporal GIS: Advanced functions for field-based applications, (p. 690).Google Scholar
- Drabek, T. E. (1996). Disaster evacuation behavior: Tourists and other transients. Boulder, Colorado: Institute of Behavioral Science, University of Colorado.Google Scholar
- Erharuyi, N., & Fairbairn, D. (2003). Mobile geographic information handling technologies to support disaster management. Geography, 88, 312–318.Google Scholar
- ESRI (1999). GIS for emergency management. ESRI White Paper Eveleigh T. J., Mazzuchi, T. A. et al. (2007) Spatially-aware systems engineering design modeling applied to natural hazard vulnerability assessment. System Engineering, 10(3), 16–24.Google Scholar
- Goodchild, M. F., Parks, B. O., & Steyaert, L. T. (1993). Environmental modeling with GIS. Oxford University Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Gorsevski, P. V., & Jankowski, P. (2008). Discerning landslide susceptibility using rough sets. Computers, Environment and Urban Systems, 32(1), 53–65. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compenvurbsys.2007.04.001CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Hardin, C. (1998). Serving maps on the internet. Redlands, CA: ESRI Press, Inc.Google Scholar
- Harrison, J. (2004). Disaster management, URL: http://www.geoplace.com/gr.
- Hastaoglu K. O., Sanli, D. U., Poyraz, F., & Ayazli I. E. (2009). Comparison of estimation methods for tropospheric errors in GPS rapid static method. Journal of Engineering Natural Science, 27(4), 264–274.Google Scholar
- Kovach, R. L. (1995). Earth fury: An introduction to natural hazards and disasters. New Jersey: Prentice Hall.Google Scholar
- Krippendorff, K. (2006). Networks and the size of cyberspace: Implications for research. Paper presented at the International Communication Association Conference, Dresden, Germany, 19–23 June, 2006.Google Scholar
- Kwan, M., & Lee, J. (2005). Emergency response after 9/11: The potential of real-time 3D GIS for quick emergency response in micro-spatial environments. Computers, Environment and Urban Systems, 29, 93–113. http://geog-www.sbs.ohio-state.edu/faculty/mkwan/Paper/CEUS_2005.pdf.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Laituri, M. (2003). The issue of access: An assessment guide for evaluating public participation geographic information science case studies. Journal of the Urban and Regional Information Systems Association, 15, 25–31. http://www.urisa.org/files/Laiturivol15apa2-3.pdf.
- Longley, P. A., Goodchild, M. F., Maguire, D. J., & Rhind, D. W. (2001). Geographic information systems and science. Chichester, UK: John Wiley & Sons.Google Scholar
- Mansourian, A., (2005). Development of an SDI Conceptual Model and Web-based System to Facilitate Disaster Management, PhD Thesis, K. N.Toosi University of Technology, Tehran, Iran.Google Scholar
- Mennis, J. L., & Fountain, A. G. (2001). A spatio-temporal GIS database for monitoring alpine glacier change. Photogrammetric Engineering and Remote Sensing, 67(8), 967–974.Google Scholar
- Meraz, S. (2006). Citizen journalism, citizen activism, and technology: positioning technology as a ‘second superpower in times of disaster and terrorism. In 7th International Symposium on Online Journalism, April 7–8, 2006, http://jounalism.utexas.edu/onlinejournalism/2006.html.
- Miura, H., Yamazaki, F., et al. (2007). Identification of damaged areas due to the 2006 Central Java, Indonesia earthquake using satellite optical images. In Urban Remote Sensing Joint Event, 2007.Google Scholar
- Montoya, L. (2002). Low-cost Rapid Grounta Data Capture. The Netherlands. GIM International, 16, 32–35.Google Scholar
- Narain, A. (2003). Disaster management system: An integrated approach using satellite communication, education and remote sensing. URL: home.iitk.ac.in/~ramesh/narain.doc.
- Peng, Z., & Tsou, M. (2003). Internet GIS. New Jersey: Wiley.Google Scholar
- Peuquet, D. (2001). Making space for time: issues in space-time data representation. GeoInformatica, 5, 11–32.Google Scholar
- Peuquet, D. J. (2002). Representations of space and time. New York: Guilford.Google Scholar
- Sai Global. (2003). Risk management. URL: http://www.riskmanagement.com.au/.
- Samarajiva, R. (2005). Mobilizing information and communications technologies for effective disaster warning: Lessons from the 2004 tsunami. New Media Society,7(6), 731–747.Google Scholar
- Simonovic, S. P., & Huang, P. (1999). Prototype virtual database development for management of floods in the Red River Basin. In CWRA- Manitoba Branch Conference Winnipeg MB, Red River Flooding: Managing Decreasing Our Risks (pp. IX-1- IX- 12).Google Scholar
- Smith, K. (1996). Environmental hazard (2nd ed.). New York: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Smirnov, A., Pashkin, M., et al. (2006). Context-based disaster management support. In: IEEE Workshop on Distributed Intelligent Systems: Collective Intelligence and its Applications, 2006. DIS 2006Google Scholar
- Strand, H., Wilhelmsen, L., & Gleditsch, N. P. (2003). Armed conflict dataset codebook. Oslo: PRIO.Google Scholar
- URS Australia Pty Ltd. (2002). Economic Benefits of Land Use Planning in Flood Management, Department of Natural Resources and Environment, Victoria.Google Scholar
- Waugh, W. L. (2000). Living with Hazards Dealing with Disasters: Introduction to Emergency Management. NY: M E Sharpe.Google Scholar