The Impact of Supply Chain Disruptions on Organizational Performance: A Literature Review
This chapter examines the effect of supply chain disruptions on organizational performance. We employ a systematic literature review to identify different conceptualizations and theorizations of supply chain disruptions, and to understand how different types of supply chain disruptions affect organizational performance. We later discuss organizational capabilities (resilience enhancers) that can improve an organizational response to supply chain disruptions. Finally, we outline future research directions in supply chain risk management and supply chain resilience.
This research is based upon work supported by the National Science Foundation (NSF) under Grant number 123887 (Research Initiation Award: Understanding Risks and Disruptions in Supply Chains and their Effect on Firm and Supply Chain Performance).
- Aluda, K. M. (2015). Supply chain risk management practices among telecommunications equipment vendors in Kenya: A case study of Nokia Kenya. School of business: University of Nairobi.Google Scholar
- Chopra, S., & Sodhi, M. S. (2004). Managing risk to avoid supply chain breakdown. MIT Sloan Management Review, 46(1), 53–61.Google Scholar
- Chopra, S., & Sodhi, M. S. (2014). Reducing the risk of supply chain disruptions. MIT Sloan Management Review, 55(3), 73.Google Scholar
- Dominik, E., Matthias, G., Constantin, B., & Michael, L. (2015). The performance impact of supply chain agility and supply chain adaptability: The moderating effect of product complexity. International Journal of Production Research, 53(10), 2–44.Google Scholar
- Fang, H., Li, C., & Xiao, R. (2012). Supply chain network design based on brand differentiation and resilient management. Journal of Information & Computational Science, 9(14), 3977–3986.Google Scholar
- Hendricks, K., & Singhal, V. (2005). An empirical analysis of the effect of supply chain disruptions on long-run stock price performance and equity risk of the firm. Production and Operations Management, 14(1), 25–53.Google Scholar
- Jain, V., Kumar, S., Soni, U., & Chandra, C. (2017). Supply chain resilience: Model development and empirical analysis. International Journal of Production Research, 1–22.Google Scholar
- Peck, H. (2004). Understanding the sources and drivers of supply chain risk. In S. Crainer (Ed.), The financial times handbook of management (3rd ed.). London: Pearson Publishing.Google Scholar
- SCRLC. (2011). Supply chain risk management: A compilation of best practices.Google Scholar
- Sheffi, J. (2005). Building a resilient supply chain. Harvard Business Review, 1(8), 1–4.Google Scholar
- Sheffi, Y., & Rice, J. B. (2005). A supply chain view of the resilient enterprise. MIT Sloan Management Review, 47(1), 41–48.Google Scholar
- Shekarian, M., & Parast, M. (2018). The effect of supply chain disruption risks on organizational performance: A literature review. North Carolina A&T State University, Greensboro, NC (Working paper).Google Scholar
- Zsidisin, G., Ragatz, G., & Melnyk, S. (2005). The dark side of supply chain management. Supply Chain Management Review, 9(2), 46–52.Google Scholar