Sustainability Risk Management in Supply Chain
Sustainable supply chains have become an emerging research topic which is also increasingly on the agenda of purchasing and supply managers. Although the role of sustainability, and especially corporate social responsibility, has continued to increase, implementation in the supply chain remains challenging. The chapter aims to find out how to implement and assure responsibility in the purchasing and supply chain and the role of risk management in assuring responsibility. Using case studies as illustrations, the chapter offers guidelines for the process of implementing responsibility in the supply chain and addresses what kind of role risk management plays in this process. The systematic methods for the process of implementing responsibility are likely to provide insights for managers who are responsible for assuring responsibility in the supply chain.
KeywordsSupply chain sustainability Risk management Social responsibility
- Bowen, H. R. (1953). Social responsibilities of the businessman. New Yorker: Harper and Row.Google Scholar
- Clapp, J., & Rowlands, I. H. (2014). Corporate social responsibility. In J.-F. Morin & A. Orsini (Eds.), Essential concepts of global environmental governance (pp. 42–45). New York: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Elkington, J. (1998). Cannibals with forks: The triple bottom line of the 21st century business. Stoney Creek, CT: New Society Publishers.Google Scholar
- Elkington, J. (2004). Enter the triple bottom line. In A. Henriques & J. Richardson (Eds.), The triple bottom line: Does it all add up (pp. 1–16). London: Earthscan.Google Scholar
- GRI (2009). Transparency in the supply chain projects. News, Online. Retrieved February 20, 2015, from https://www.globalreporting.org/resourcelibrary/Global-Action-Network-for-Transparency-in-the-Supply-Chain-Program-Overview.pdf.
- ISO/DIS 20400.2 (2016) Sustainable procurement—Guidance (draft manual).Google Scholar
- Multaharju, S. (2016). Managing sustainability-related risks in supply chains. Acta Universitatis Lappeenrantaensis 725, Lappeenranta: Lappeenranta University of Technology Yliopistopaino.Google Scholar
- Nidumolu, R., Prahalad, C. K., & Rangaswami, M. R. (2009). Why sustainability is now the key driver of innovation. Harvard Business Review, 87(9), 57–64.Google Scholar
- Pearce, J. A., & Doh, J. P. (2005). High-impact collaborative social initiatives. MIT Sloan Management Review, 46, 30–39.Google Scholar
- Sheldon, O. (1924). The philosophy of management. London: Isaac Pitman and Sons Ltd.Google Scholar
- World Commission on Environment and Development. (1987). Our Common Future. Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar