A Fast Mode Decision Algorithm for HEVC Intra Prediction
Compared to H.264/AVC, High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC) can achieve bits rate savings of up to 50% while maintaining the same subjective quality. However, this great advance is obtained at the expense of significantly increased encoder complexity. In this paper, a fast mode decision algorithm is proposed for HEVC intra prediction. Firstly, the depth information of the CU block is used to skip some of impossible selected modes, assuming that there is no need to perform a strong search for large CUs. Secondly, the number of rough mode decision (RMD) is adjusted to further reduce the number of modes that need to be evaluated. Experimental results show that the proposed algorithm can achieve about 28.8% encoder time saving on average under the all intra configuration compared with HM 10.0.
KeywordsHigh Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC) Intra prediction Fast algorithm RMD
This work was supported by Xi’an Science and Technology Bureau Project, under Grant 201805040YD18CG24(1) and the Department of Education Shaanxi Province, China, under Grant 2013JK1023.
- 1.Bross, B., Han, W.-J.: High efficiency video coding (HEVC) text specification draft 6. (JCT-VC) ITU-T VCEG and ISO/IEC MPEG, San Jose, CA, USA, April 2012. DocGoogle Scholar
- 6.Wang, Y., Fan, X., Zhao, L., Ma, S., Zhao, D., Gao, W.: A fast intra coding algorithm for HEVC. In: 2014 IEEE International Conference on Image Processing (ICIP), pp. 4117–4121. IEEE (2014). https://doi.org/10.1109/ICIP.2014.7025836
- 8.Shen, X., Yu, L., Chen, J.: Fast coding unit size selection for HEVC based on Bayesian decision rule. In: Picture Coding Symposium (PCS), 2012, pp. 453–456. IEEE (2012)Google Scholar
- 9.Teng, S.-W., Hang, H.-M., Chen, Y.-F.: Fast mode decision algorithm for residual quadtree coding in HEVC. In: 2011 IEEE Visual Communications and Image Processing (VCIP), pp. 1–4. IEEE (2011). https://doi.org/10.1109/VCIP.2011.6116062
- 10.Joint Collaborative Team on Video Coding Reference Software, ver. HM 10.0. https://hevc.hhi.fraunhofer.de/svn/svnHEVCSoftware/
- 11.Wang, Y.L., Shen, J.X., Liao, W.H., et al.: Automatic fundus images mosaic based on sift feature. In: International Congress on Image and Signal Processing, Yantai, China, 16–18 October 2010 pp. 2747–2751 (2010)Google Scholar
- 12.Bjontegaard, G.: Calculation of average PSNR differences between RD Curves. Doc. VCEG-M33 ITU-T Q6/16, Austin, TX, USA, 2–4 April 2001 (2001)Google Scholar