Economic Challenges in Trans-Europe
The chapter analyses the outcomes of recent economic agreements and unions that have affected the interests and attitudes of multiple actors in the Trans-European space. The author explores the effects of these unions on trade flows and investment, both in the EU and in ten countries of the EU neighborhood. The chapter contributes to the book’s narrative by examining spill-over effects of financial crises and financial sanctions across the whole area. Using a comparative approach, Mirkina explains differences in the choices that the EU’s neighbors must make. Examining the consequences of these choices helps in predicting the economic and political trajectories of each country, describing antagonistic forces that impair their economic integration and security and highlighting issues that should be resolved before steady development in this area could be achieved.
- Adarov, A., and P. Havlik. 2017. Challenges of DCFTAs: How can Georgia, Moldova and Ukraine succeed?, no. 18. Vienna: The Vienna Institute for International Economic Studies (wiiw).Google Scholar
- Buzarov, A. 2018. Ukraine and China: Seeking Economic Opportunity within a Framework of Risk. Washington, DC: Wilson Center.Google Scholar
- Cimino-Isaacs, C. and K. Katzman. 2017. Iran’s Expanding Economic Relations with Asia. Congressional Research Service Reports, November 29, 2017. Washington, DC: Congressional Research Service. digital.library.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metadc1094521/. Accessed 1 Mar 2018.
- Council of the EU. 2017. Conclusions on a Future EU Industrial Policy Strategy. Press Release, May 29, 2017. http://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/press/press-releases/2017/05/29/compet-conclusions-future-industrial-policy-strategy/. Accessed 1 Mar 2018.
- ECORYS-CASE. 2012. Trade Sustainability Impact Assessment in Support of Negotiations of a DCFTA between the EU and Georgia and the Republic of Moldova. Rotterdam: ECORYS Netherlands and Center for Social and Economic Research.Google Scholar
- EIU. 2017. Another Challenging Four Years Ahead for Iran’s Economy. The Economist Intelligence Unit Country Report, May 26, 2017. http://country.eiu.com/article.aspx?articleid=1825475566&Country=Iran&topic=Economy. Accessed 1 Mar 2018.
- Emerson, M. 2018. The Strategic Potential of the Emerging Wider European Economic Area, CEPS Policy Insights No 2018/05. Brussels: Centre for European Policy Studies.Google Scholar
- Escobar, P. 2018. ‘Make Trade, Not War’ is China’s Daring Plan in the Middle East. Asia Times, January 18, 2018. http://www.atimes.com/article/make-trade-not-war-chinas-daring-plan-middle-east/. Accessed 1 Mar 2018.
- EU Directorate-General for External Policies. 2017. The State of Implementation of the Associations and Free Trade Agreements with Ukraine, Georgia and Moldova. Study QA-05-17-170-EN-N. Brussels: European Parliament Directorate-General for External Policies.Google Scholar
- European Commission Directorate-General for Trade. 2018. Client and Supplier Countries of the EU28 in Merchandise Trade (2017, Excluding intra-EU Trade). http://trade.ec.europa.eu/doclib/docs/2006/september/tradoc_122530.03.2018.pdf. Accessed 1 Mar 2018.
- Eurostat. 2018. International Trade in Goods. Luxembourg: European Commission, Eurostat. https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/web/international-tradein-goods/data/database. Accessed 1 Mar 2018.
- Expert-Group. 2017. Monitoring Report on the Implementation of the Priority Reform Action Roadmap (5th July–22nd November 2017). Chisinau: Expert-Group.Google Scholar
- Falyakhov, R. 2015. A Union with Barriers. Gazeta.ru, March 18. https://www.gazeta.ru/business/2015/03/17/6602773.shtml. Accessed 1 Mar 2018.
- Felbermayr, G., and J. Groschl. 2017. Free Trade from Lisbon to Vladivostok: Who Gains, Who Loses from a Eurasian Trade Agreement? CESifo Forum 18 (2): 52–62. München: IFO Institut–Leibniz-Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung an der Universität München.Google Scholar
- Hindy, L. 2017. A Rising China Eyes the Middle East. The Century Foundation, April 6, 2017.Google Scholar
- IMF. 2018. World Economic Outlook, April 2018. Cyclical Upswing, Structural Change. Washington, DC: International Monetary Fund.Google Scholar
- International Trade Center. 2018. International Trade Statistics 2001–2018. Geneva: International Trade Centre UNCTAD/WTO. http://www.intracen.org/itc/market-info-tools/trade-statistics/. Accessed 1 Mar 2018.
- Kofner, J., P. Balas, M. Emerson, P. Havlik, E. Rovenskaya, A. Stepanova, E. Vinokurov, and P. Kabat. 2017. High-level Consultation Meeting on Eurasian Economic Integration. IIASA Project “Challenges and Opportunities of Economic Integration within a Wider European and Eurasian Space”, IIASA Workshop Report. Laxenburg: International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis.Google Scholar
- Kovziridze, T. 2017. Georgia-China FTA: A Side Effect of the EU-Georgia DCFTA? CEPS Report. Brussels: Centre for European Policy Studies.Google Scholar
- Kozak, M. 2017. China is Getting More and More Interested in Ukraine. Central European Financial Observer, June 2, 2017.Google Scholar
- Krakowska, M. 2018. The Dragon in the Room. New Eastern Europe, January 30, 2018.Google Scholar
- Li, L., and R. Pantucci. 2013. Decision Time for Central Asia: Russia or China. Open Democracy, January 24, 2013.Google Scholar
- Liik, K., ed. 2014. Russia’s “Pivot” to Eurasia. London: European Council on Foreign Relations.Google Scholar
- Mansurov, T. 2015. Eurasian Economic Integration: Experience and Prospects. Moscow: Russky Raritet.Google Scholar
- Muzalevsky, R. 2011. Russian-Led Customs Union Intensifies Sino–Russian Rivalry in Central Asia. Eurasia Daily Monitor 8 (147). https://jamestown.org/program/russian-led-customs-union-intensifies-sino-russian-rivalry-in-central-asia/. Accessed 1 Mar 2018.
- Nereim, V. 2018. IMF Raises Saudi Arabia’s 2018 Growth Forecast as Oil Climbs. Bloomberg, January 22, 2018. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-01-22/saudi-2018-growth-forecast-revised-up-by-imf-as-oil-prices-rise. Accessed 1 Mar 2018.
- Peel, M., K. Manson, and A. Ward. 2017. Europe Battles to Save Commercial Ties with Iran. Financial Times, October 12, 2017. https://www.ft.com/content/c6166f24-af42-11e7-aab9-abaa44b1e130. Accessed 1 Mar 2018.
- Upadhyay, R. 2017. Iran and Iraq Are Making It Harder for Saudi Arabia to Prop Up Oil Prices. Business Insider, March 13, 2017. http://www.businessinsider.com/iran-and-iraq-ramp-up-oil-production-2017-3?r=US&IR=T&IR=T. Accessed 1 Mar 2018.
- Vinokurov E., P. Balas, M. Emerson, P. Havlik, V. Pereboev, E. Rovenskaya, A. Stepanova, J. Kofner, and P. Kabat. 2016. Challenges and Opportunities of Economic Integration Within a Wider European and Eurasian Space. Laxenburg: International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis.Google Scholar
- Vlas, C. 2018. EU Almost Equals CIS at Individual Money Transfers to Moldova. Moldova.org, February 20, 2018. http://www.moldova.org/en/2017-eu-almost-equals-cis-individual-money-transfers-moldova/. Accessed 1 Mar 2018.
- Wiśniewska, I. 2013. Eurasian Integration. Russia’s Attempt at the Economic Unification of the Post-Soviet Area, OSW Studies Report 44, July 2013. Warsaw: Centre for Eastern Studies (OSW).Google Scholar
- Wolczuk, K., L. Delcour, R. Dragneva, K. Maniokas, and D. Žeruolis. 2017. The Association Agreements as a Dynamic Framework: Between Modernization and Integration, EU-STRAT Working Paper, no. 06. Berlin: EU-STRAT.Google Scholar