Capturing the Moment on Instagram: The Case of Successful Storytelling in Huawei’s S-commerce Campaign
Following a case study approach, this research empirically investigates social commerce in terms of influencer marketing. In order to analyse the storytelling campaign #ShowWhatYouLove by smartphone producer Huawei, data such as reached followers, follower interactions in terms of likes and comments as well as earned media value were collected and allowed to identify specific campaign characteristics. Expert insights from an agency specialised on influencer marketing were used to further validate the results. Moreover, relevant key performance indicators for the strategic use of Instagram were identified through this case study, for example, reach and interactions. Specific implications for marketing managers on how to plan, structure and conduct a storytelling campaign on Instagram in order to increase awareness and brand reputation are derived.
Keywords#ShowWhatYouLove Huawei S-commerce Case study
- BVDW & Infury. (2017). Bedeutung von influencer marketing in Deutschland. Bundesverband Digitale Wirtschaft e.V.Google Scholar
- Cecere, L., Owyang, J., Li, C., Etlinger, S., & Tran, C. (2010). The rise of social commerce. A trail guide for the social commerce pioneer. Retrieved from https://digitalintelligencetoday.com/documents/Altimeter_2010.pdf. 10 Apr 2018.
- Dennison, G., Bourdage-Braun, S., & Chetuparambil, M. (2009). Social commerce defined. White paper #23747, IBM Corporation, Research Triangle Park, NC, November 2009.Google Scholar
- Hermann, R. (2017, January). Influencer marketing. Rockstars Report.Google Scholar
- InfluencerDB. (2018). A guide to influencer marketing, advertising & relations. Retrieved from https://www.influencerdb.net/blog/guide-to-influencer-strategy/. 7 July 2018.
- Kim, Y., & Srivastava, J. (2007). Impact of social influence in e-commerce decision making. Proceedings of the ninth international conference on electronic commerce, pp. 293–302. August 2007, ACM.Google Scholar
- Nielsen. (2013). Under the influence: Consumer trust in advertising. Retrieved from http://www.nielsen.com/us/en/insights/news/2013/under-the-influence-consumer-trust-in-advertising.html. 11 Apr 2018.
- Social Match. (2017). Internal document: Influencer strategy for the #ShowWhatYouLove campaign. Münster.Google Scholar
- Social Match. (2018). Internal document: Deutscher Preis für Online Kommunikation. HUAWEI #ShowWhatYouLove Live Pitch in der Kategorie “Product Launch”. Berlin.Google Scholar
- Solis, B. (2017). Influence 2.0: The future of influencer marketing. A New Global Research Study by Brian Solis, Altimeter Group.Google Scholar
- Statista. (2018a). How is your influencer marketing budget going to change in 2018? Retrieved from https://www.statista.com/statistics/432177/influence-marketing-budget-change-usa/. 10 Apr 2018.
- Statista. (2018b). Number of monthly active Instagram users from January 2013 to September 2017 (in millions). Retrieved from https://www.statista.com/statistics/253577/number-of-monthly-active-instagram-users/. 10 Apr 2018.
- Statista. (2018c). Statistiken zu Instagram. Retrieved from https://de.statista.com/themen/2506/instagram/. 28 June 2018.
- Traackr. (2017). Traackr’s guide to influencer marketing. A blueprint for customer-centric enterprises. San Francisco.Google Scholar
- Yin, R. K. (2013). Case study research: Design and methods. Thousand Oaks: Sage Publications.Google Scholar