At its best, technology can bring us closer to achieving the goals of democracy by enabling more people to vote, and by facilitating the behemoth administration of elections. But at its worst, technology can break down, confuse voters, lead to inaccuracies in voting, be highly vulnerable to cyberattack and potentially threaten the overall integrity and validity of elections. This chapter analyzes the challenges and promises of voting technology which has been fraught with partisan, legal, and market considerations that have hindered progress on this much-needed area of reform.
- Atkeson, Lonna Rae, and Kyle L. Saunders. 2007. “The Effect of Election Administration on Voter Confidence: A Local Matter?” PS: Political Science & Politics 40, no. 4: 655–660.Google Scholar
- Bauer, Robert F., Benjamin L. Ginsberg, Brian Britton, Joe Echevarria, Trey Grayson, Larry Lomax, Michele Coleman Mayes, Ann McGeehan, Tammy Patrick, Christopher Thomas, and Nathaniel Persily. 2014. The American Voting Experience: Report and Recommendations of the Presidential Commission on Election Administration. Washington, DC: Presidential Commission on Election Administration.Google Scholar
- Bengfort, Jacquelyn. 2017. “Safer Elections Mean Newer Equipment, No Networks.” State Tech, April 11. Accessed March 26, 2018.Google Scholar
- Bishop, Matt. 2017. “Open-Source Software Won’t Ensure Election Security.” Lawfare, August 24. https://www.lawfareblog.com/open-source-software-wont-ensure-election-security. Accessed July 19, 2018.
- Douglas, Theo. 2018. “With Planned Resource Center, Apps Competition, NYC Leans into Blockchain.” Government Technology, May 14. http://www.govtech.com/civic/With-Planned-Resource-Center-App-Competition-NYC-Leans-Into-Blockchain.html. Accessed August 27, 2018.
- Fromer, Yoav. 2017. “Want to Improve Democracy? Abolish the Secret Ballot.” The Washington Post, January 6. https://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2017/01/06/want-to-improve-democracy-abolish-the-secret-ballot/?utm_term=.f4dd80f0fe96. Accessed May 10, 2018.
- Gardner, William M. 2016. Communication to Brent Turner, California Association of Voting Officials, May 13. www.cavo-us.org/PDFS/Open_source_letter_from_Bill_Gardner.pdf.
- Gardner, William M., Thomas F. Manning, Daniel J. Cloutier, Christopher G. Bentzler, Colleen McCormack, and Anthony Stevens. 2016. “State of New Hampshire.” Lecture presented at the 2016 State Certification Testing of Voting Systems National Conference, MIT, Cambridge, MA, June 20.Google Scholar
- Gilbert, Juan E. 2016. “Prime III: One Machine, One Vote for Everyone.” Lecture presented at the 2016 State Certification Testing of Voting Systems National Conference, MIT, Cambridge, MA, June 20.Google Scholar
- Grossman, Wendy M. 2009. “Why Machines Are Bad at Counting Votes.” The Guardian, April 29. https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2009/apr/30/e-voting-electronic-polling-systems. Accessed August 14, 2018.
- Herrnson, Paul S., Richard G. Niemi, Michael J. Hanmer, Benjamin B. Bederson, Frederick G. Conrad, and Michael W. Traugott. 2009. Voting Technology: The Not-So-Simple Act of Casting a Ballot. Washington, DC: Brookings Institution Press.Google Scholar
- Herrnson, Paul S., Richard G. Niemi, Michael J. Hanmer, Peter L. Francia, Benjamin B. Bederson, Frederick G. Conrad, and Michael W. Traugott. 2008. “Voters’ Evaluations of Electronic Voting Systems: Results from a Usability Field Study.” American Politics Research 36, no. 4: 580–611.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Horn, Sarah. 2010. “Ballot TRACE Glitch Sends Denver Voters Wrong Message.” The Denver Post, July 22. https://www.denverpost.com/2010/07/22/ballot-trace-glitch-sends-denver-voters-wrong-message/. Accessed August 27, 2018.
- Jefferson, David. 2017. “If I Can Shop and Bank Online, Why Can’t I Vote Online?” Verified Voting. https://www.verifiedvoting.org/resources/internet-voting/vote-online/. Accessed August 16, 2018.
- Miller, Ben. 2017. “Can Blockchain Bring Voting Online?” Government Technology, October/November. http://www.govtech.com/data/GT-OctoberNovember-Securing-the-Vote.html. Accessed December 17, 2017.
- Montellaro, Zach. 2016. “Why You (Still) Can’t Vote Online.” The Atlantic, January 28. https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/01/why-you-still-cant-vote-online/459183/. Accessed August 16, 2018.
- National Conference of State Legislatures (NCSL). 2018a. “Voting Systems Standards, Testing and Certification.” National Conference of State Legislatures, January 18. http://www.ncsl.org/research/elections-and-campaigns/voting-system-standards-testing-and-certification.aspx. Accessed February 23, 2018.
- National Conference of State Legislatures (NCSL). 2018b. “Voting Equipment.” National Conference of State Legislatures, April 16. http://www.ncsl.org/research/elections-and-campaigns/voting-equipment.aspx. Accessed May 23, 2018.
- Pritchard, Caleb. 2017. “STAR-Vote Collapses.” Austin Monitor, October 4. https://www.austinmonitor.com/stories/2017/10/star-vote-collapses/. Accessed May 21, 2018.
- Scarpello, Michael J. 2010. “2010 Professional Practices Program: Ballot TRACE City and County of Denver, Colorado.” Presentation at the Election Center Annual Conference, Orlando, FL, August 19. https://www.electioncenter.org/publications/2010%20PPP/Denver_Election%20Paper%20Submittal_Ballot%20Trace_2010.pdf. Accessed August 25, 2018.
- Spence, Cindy. 2016. “The Democracy Machine.” Explore Magazine, Fall, University of Florida.Google Scholar
- Stewart III, Charles. 2017. “Thoughts on Voter Confidence and Election Reform.” Election Updates (blog), September 12. https://electionupdates.caltech.edu/page/2/. Accessed January 17, 2018.
- Towns, Steve. 2010. “Government ‘Apps’ Move from Cool to Useful.” Governing, May. http://www.governing.com/columns/tech-talk/Government-Apps-Move-from.html. Accessed June 28, 2018.
- United States Election Assistance Commission. 2017. “The Election Administration and Voting Survey 2016 Comprehensive Report: A Report to the 115th Congress.” https://www.eac.gov/assets/1/6/2016_EAVS_Comprehensive_Report.pdf. Accessed December 22, 2017.
- Whittaker, Richard. 2017. “County Ditches STAR-Vote’s Innovative Voting System.” The Austin Chronicle, October 13. https://www.austinchronicle.com/news/2017-10-13/county-ditches-star-votes-innovative-voting-system/. Accessed May 9, 2018.