Whither Election Rigging: The Puzzle of Election Reform
This chapter presents the fundamental puzzle of election reform: How have we allocated vast resources to fix documented problems in election administration without making consistent, significant dents in solving them, and often creating new ones in their wake? The chapter provides an overview of the book including the framework and methodological approaches to solving the puzzle.
- Atkeson, Lonna Rae, and Kyle L. Saunders. 2007. “The Effect of Election Administration on Voter Confidence: A Local Matter?” PS: Political Science & Politics 40, no. 4: 655–660.Google Scholar
- Brennan Center for Justice. 2016. “Voting Problems Present in 2016, but Further Study Needed to Determine Impact.” https://www.brennancenter.org/analysis/voting-problems-present-2016-further-study-needed-determine-impact. Accessed December 22, 2017.
- Caltech/MIT Voting Technology Project. 2016. The Voting Technology Project: Looking Back, Looking Ahead. Pasadena: California Institute of Technology.Google Scholar
- Cha, J. Mijin, and Liz Kennedy. 2014. “Millions to the Polls: Poll Worker Recruitment & Training.” Demos, February 18. http://www.demos.org/publication/millions-polls-poll-worker-recruitment-training. Accessed April 9, 2018.
- Economist Intelligence Unit. 2017. “Democracy Index 2016: Revenge of the ‘Deplorables’.” The Economist Intelligence Unit. https://www.eiu.com/public/topical_report.aspx?campaignid=DemocracyIndex2016. Accessed January 10, 2018.
- Future of California Elections. 2018. “2018 Election Reform Primer.” http://futureofcaelections.org/electionprimer2018/. Accessed June 6, 2018.
- Kobin, Billy. 2018. “California Voters with Sloppy Signatures Must Have a Chance to Correct Them, Court Rules.” The Sacramento Bee, March 6. https://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/capitol-alert/article203746944.html. Accessed August 3, 2018.
- Kropf, Martha, and David C. Kimball. 2012. Helping America Vote: The Limits of Election Reform. New York: Routledge.Google Scholar
- League of Women Voters of California. 2017. “Voting Rights Groups Sue California DMV for Voter Suppression.” League of Women Voters of California, May 9. https://lwvc.org/news/voting-rights-groups-sue-california-dmv-voter-suppression. Accessed on December 12, 2017.
- Malewitz, Jim, and Alexa Ura. 2017. “Principals Aren’t Registering High Schoolers to Vote. Texas Is Turning to Superintendents.” The Texas Tribune, September 15. https://www.texastribune.org/2017/09/15/principals-arent-registering-high-schoolers-vote/. Accessed November 17, 2017.
- McFadden, Cynthia, William M. Arkin, Kevin Monahan, and Ken Dilanian. 2018. “U.S. Intel: Russia Compromised Seven States Prior to 2016 Election.” NBC News, February 27. https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/elections/u-s-intel-russia-compromised-seven-states-prior-2016-election-n850296. Accessed July 26, 2018.
- Phillip, Abby, and Mike DeBonis. 2017. “Without Evidence, Trump Tells Lawmakers 3 Million to 5 Million Illegal Ballots Cost Him the Popular Vote.” The Washington Post, January 23. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2017/01/23/at-white-house-trump-tells-congressional-leaders-3-5-million-illegal-ballots-cost-him-the-popular-vote/?utm_term=.10a4ce18c6a2. Accessed November 28, 2017.
- Tokaji, Daniel P. 2005. “The New Vote Denial: Where Election Reform Meets the Voting Rights Act.” SCL Review 57: 689.Google Scholar
- United States Election Assistance Commission. 2017. “The Election Administration and Voting Survey 2016 Comprehensive Report: A Report to the 115th Congress.” https://www.eac.gov/assets/1/6/2016_EAVS_Comprehensive_Report.pdf. Accessed December 22, 2017.
- Wan, William. 2016. “How Republicans in North Carolina Created a ‘Monster’ Voter ID Law.” Chicago Tribune, September 2. http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/politics/ct-north-carolina-voter-id-law-20160902-story.html. Accessed July 19, 2018.
- Wood, Erika. 2016. “Florida: An Outlier in Denying Voting Rights.” Brennan Center for Justice. https://www.brennancenter.org/publication/florida-outlier-denying-voting-rights. Accessed June 6, 2018.