Literature Review on the Developments of Rice Milling Machines
The aim of this paper is to present the recent developments in the field of rice milling technology including human powered milling machines. The present paper lucidly explains both traditional and improved methods for the rice milling operation. It speaks about the innovations that took place in dehusking machine from earliest times to the present and its future scope. The different types of designs and progressive developments with operating parameters and mechanisms used can be overviewed from the literature review to obtain out the scope for further developments.
KeywordsDehusking Paddy Hullers Mechanization Human powered milling machines
I would like to take this opportunity to express my profound gratitude and deep regard to my PhD supervisor, Professor. K. S. Zakiuddin who provided insight and expertise that greatly assisted the research.
- 1.Araullo EV, De Padua DB, Graham M. Rice Postharvest Technology, International Development Research Centre (IDRC) 053e, Ottawa. ISBN 0-88936-067-7Google Scholar
- 2.Surendranath Singh TH. Pedal operated rice mill at home scale, manipur science &technology council, Imphal, ManipurGoogle Scholar
- 3.Gariboldi F (1974) Rice milling equipment operation and maintenance. Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nation, RomeGoogle Scholar
- 4.Satake T (1990) Modern rice milling technology. Tokyo Press, Tokyo, pp 40–46. By Rickman JF, Gummert M. Agricultural Engineering, International Rice Research Institute IRRIGoogle Scholar
- 5.Wimberly JE (1983) Technical handbook for paddy postharvest industry in developing countries, International Rice Research Institute (IRRI). Los Banos, LagunaGoogle Scholar
- 6.Van Ruiten HTL (1981) Milling performance of single pass rice mill units using one abrasive roll and one rubber roll instead of two-rubber rolls. In: Proceedings of the 4th annual workshop on grains post harvest technology. Southeast Asia Cooperative Post harvest Research and Development Programme. SEARCA College, Laguna, PhilippinesGoogle Scholar
- 7.Nayak P (1996) Problems And prospects of rice mill modernization a case study. J. Assam Univ. 1(1):22–28Google Scholar
- 8.Esmay M, Eriyanto S, Phillips A (1979) Rice post production technology in the tropics. East-West Food Institute, The University Press of Hawaii, HonululuGoogle Scholar
- 9.Dhankhar P, Hissar T (2014) Rice Milling, IOSR J Eng, 04(05): 34–42 ISSN 2278-8719Google Scholar