The final chapter concludes the volume by summarizing the major findings. It discusses why corruption varies geographically in light of different levels of national wealth, democracy, and the resource curse. It notes the positive role of Weberian bureaucracies and reiterates the consequences of corruption. Finally, it points to the need for contextualized, spatially sensitive analyses that offer more nuanced understandings of corruption than do aspatial, “one-size-fits-all” approaches.
KeywordsGlobal geography of corruption Corruption effects Resource curse
- Iqbal, M., & Seo, J. W. (2008). E-governance as an anti-corruption tool: Korean cases. Journal of Korean Association for Regional Information Society, 6, 51–78.Google Scholar
- Luckman, E. (2013, October 21). Indonesia’s anti-corruption website is now getting 1,000 crowdsourced reports every day. Tech in Asia. https://www.techinasia.com/lapor-indonesia-200000-users.
- Patak, R., & Prasad, R. (2005). Role of e-governance in tackling corruption: The Indian experience. In R. Ahmad (Ed.), The role of public administration in building a harmonious society (pp. 434–463). Beijing: China National School of Administration.Google Scholar
- Rajon, S., & Zama, S. (2008). Implementation of e-governance: Only way to build a corruption-free Bangladesh. In Proceedings of the 11th Computer and Information Technology (pp. 430–435). IEEE.Google Scholar
- Sheryazdanova, G., Abdina, A., Abdildina, H., Kakimzhanova, M., Sadykova, T., & Gappasova, A. (2016). Development of electronic government in Kazakhstan as a tool to combat corruption. Indian Journal of Science and Technology, 9(5).Google Scholar
- United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime. (n.d.). United Nations Convention against Corruption. http://www.unodc.org/unodc/en/treaties/CAC/index.html.
- You, J.-S. (2014). Land reform, inequality, and corruption: A comparative historical study of Korea, Taiwan, and the Philippines. Korean Journal of International Studies, 12(1), 191–224. http://www.kjis.org/journal/view.html?uid=136&&vmd=Full.