Introduction: Brexit and European Capitalism—A Parting of the Waves?
In the early 1990s it was de rigueur to argue that the challenge of competitiveness in an age of ever greater economic interdependence was likely to put pay to the institutional diversity of capitalism itself, certainly in the western world. Globalisation, in other words, was an agent of convergence like no other—driving down taxation, regulation and welfare spending.
- Anderson, P. (1964, January–February). Origins of the Present Crisis. New Left Review, 23, 26–53.Google Scholar
- Coates, D. (2015). Varieties of Capitalism and “The Great Moderation”. In M. Ebenau, I. Bruff, & C. May (Eds.), New Directions in Comparative Capitalisms Research: Critical and Global Perspectives (pp. 11–27). London: Palgrave Macmillan.Google Scholar
- Crouch, C. (2012). The Strange Non-Death of Neoliberalism. London: Polity.Google Scholar
- Diamond, P. (2016). Endgame for the Centre-Left: The Retreat of European Social Democracy. London: Rowman & Littlefield.Google Scholar
- Financial Times. (2016, October 5). Theresa May Sets Out Post-Brexit Vision for a Fairer Britain. Available at: https://www.ft.com/content/a6435046-8b93-11e6-8aa5-f79f5696c731.
- Financial Times. (2017, January 9). Theresa May Blames Complacent Politicians for Rise of Populism. Available at: https://www.ft.com/content/ebcc4c56-d5b4-11e6-944b-e7eb37a6aa8e.
- Fukuyama, F. (1989, Summer). The End of History? The National Interest. Available at: https://www.embl.de/aboutus/science_society/discussion/discussion_2006/ref1-22june06.pdf.
- George, S. (1990). An Awkward Partner: Britain in the European Community. Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Hall, P. A., & Soskice, D. (Eds.). (2001). Varieties of Capitalism: The Institutional Foundations of Comparative Advantage. Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Hay, C. (2005). Two Can Play at That Game … or Can They? Varieties of Capitalism, Varieties of Institutionalism. In D. Coates (Ed.), Varieties of Capitalism, Varieties of Approaches. London: Palgrave Macmillan.Google Scholar
- Hay, C., & Payne, A. (2015). Civic Capitalism. London: Polity.Google Scholar
- Mair, P. (2011). Ruling the Void: The Hollowing of Western Democracy. London: Verso.Google Scholar
- Pontusson, J. (2005). Varieties and Commonalities of Capitalism. In D. Coates (Ed.), Varieties of Capitalism, Varieties of Approaches. London: Palgrave Macmillan.Google Scholar
- Stern, N. H. (2006). The Stern Review: The Economics of Climate Change (Vol. 30). London: HM Treasury.Google Scholar
- Streeck, W. (2014). Buying Time: The Delayed Crisis of Democratic Capitalism. London: Verso.Google Scholar