The Future of Automotive Plants
This chapter makes the case that the outsized the imprints of future automotive plants on our landscapes demand renewed attention. We showcase efforts to reimagine the future of auto plants, arguing that their forms will be varied, ranging in scale from boutique-style facilities to mega-formations, and ranging in distribution from local to regional clustering. As changes in technology and innovation lead us to new kinds of automobiles, modes of production, and geographies of production, we look at the role that practical design and planning could play in reframing our understanding of the links between preservation, reuse, redevelopment, and the larger urban environment in old industrial cities and regions facing economic decline. We conclude by describing an industry in the midst of profound change whose impacts on the shape of the future city have yet to be fully understood.
KeywordsBoutique plants Patterns of production Auto-manufacturing hub Clusters
- Berret, M., Mogge, F., Bodewig, M., Fellhauer, E., Sondermann, C., & Schmidt, M. (2017). Global Automotive Supplier Study 2018: Transformation in Light of Economic Disruption. Roland Berger and Lazard. https://www.rolandberger.com/en/Publications/pub_global_automotive_supplier_study_2018.html. Accessed 28 July 2018.
- EIU (Economist Intelligence Unit). (2008). Thailand: Country Profile 2008. London: EIU.Google Scholar
- European Commission. (2017). Autonomous Cars: A Big Opportunity for European Industry. https://ec.europa.eu/growth/tools-databases/dem/monitor/sites/default/files/DTM_Autonomous%20cars%20v1_1.pdf. Accessed 2 Aug 2018.
- Heineke, K., Kampshoff, P., Mkrtchyan, A., & Shao, E. (2017a). Self-Driving Technology: When Will the Robots Hit the Road? McKinsey & Company. https://www.mckinsey.com/industries/automotive-and-assembly/our-insights/self-driving-car-technology-when-will-the-robots-hit-the-road. Accessed 2 Aug 2018.
- Heineke, K., Moller, T., Padhi, A., & Tschiesner, A. (2017b). The Automotive Revolution Is Speeding Up. McKinsey & Company. https://www.mckinsey.com/industries/automotive-and-assembly/our-insights/the-automotive-revolution-is-speeding-up. Accessed 2 Aug 2018.
- Kaas, H., Tschiesner, A., Wee, D., & Kasser, M. (2015). How Carmakers Can Compete for the Connected Consumer. McKinsey & Company. https://www.mckinsey.com/industries/automotive-and-assembly/our-insights/how-carmakers-can-compete-for-the-connected-consumer. Accessed 2 Aug 2018.
- Kalmbach, R., Bernhart, W., Kleimann, P., & Hoffmann, M. (2011). Automotive Landscape 2025: Opportunities and Challenges Ahead. Roland Berger. https://circabc.europa.eu/sd/a/197115bc-e691-4abd-a6a0-d7e5c9c20f45/Roland_Berger_Automotive_Landscape_2025_E_20110228_lang.pdf/. Accessed 2 Aug 2018.
- Kohpaiboon, A. (2015). FTAs and the Supply Chain in the Thai Automotive Industry. In C. Findlay (Ed.), ASEAN and Regional Free Trade Agreements. New York: Routledge.Google Scholar
- KPMG. (2018). Global Automotive Executive Survey 2018. https://assets.kpmg.com/content/dam/kpmg/tr/pdf/2018/03/global-automotive-executive-survey-2018.pdf. Accessed 2 Aug 2018.
- Lobel, J. (2004). Success Without Victory: Lost Legal Battles and the Long Road to Justice in America. New York: NYU Press.Google Scholar
- McKinsey & Company. (2017). How the Auto Industry Is Preparing for the Car of the Future. https://www.mckinsey.com/industries/automotive-and-assembly/our-insights/how-the-auto-industry-is-preparing-for-the-car-of-the-future. Accessed 2 Aug 2018.
- Ophoff, A., Hausler, S., Heineke, K., & Moller, T. (2017). How Shared Mobility Will Change the Automotive Industry. McKinsey & Company. https://www.mckinsey.com/industries/automotive-and-assembly/our-insights/how-shared-mobility-will-change-the-automotive-industry. Accessed 2 Aug 2018.
- PWC. (2017–2018). Five Trends Transforming the Automotive Industry 2017–2018. Frankfurt am Main, Germany: PricewaterhouseCoopers GmbH Wirtschaftsprüfungsgesellschaft. https://www.pwc.at/de/publikationen/branchen-und-wirtschaftsstudien/eascy-five-trends-transforming-the-automotive-industry_2018.pdf. Accessed 1 July 2018.
- Williams, J. (2017, October 20). Australia Mourns the End of Its Car Manufacturing Industry. New York Times. https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/20/world/australia/holden-automaker-factory-closes.html. Accessed 2 July 2018.
- Zaretsky, A. (1994, January). Are States Giving Away the Store? The Regional Economist, 5–9. Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis. https://www.stlouisfed.org/publications/regional-economist/january-1994/are-states-giving-away-the-store-attracting-jobs-can-be-a-costly-adventure#5. Accessed 11 Aug 2018.