Assessment of Policy Pathways for Reaching the EU Target of (At Least) 27% Renewable Energies by 2030
As an important first step in defining the framework for renewable energies (RE) within the European Union post 2020, a binding EU-wide target to achieve a renewables share of at least 27% of gross final energy demand by 2030 was adopted by the European Council and Parliament in October 2014. On 30 November 2016, the next step was taken: The European Commission published a package of proposed legislative measures for the time horizon from 2020 to 2030 called “Clean Energy for all Europeans”, commonly referred to as the “Winter Package”. It is aimed at facilitating the clean energy transition while developing the internal market for electricity, thus fostering the Energy Union.
Within the scope of the Intelligent Energy Europe project “towards2030-dialogue” we have facilitated and guided the RE policy dialogue for the period up to 2030 over the past number of years. The dialogue process was coupled with in-depth and continuous analysis of relevant topics that included renewable energies in all energy sectors, but with more detailed analyses for renewable electricity. The analytical works included, for example, a first critical reflection on the Winter Package as well as a model-based analysis of distinct renewable electricity policy pathways up to 2030, including options for coordinating and aligning national support schemes as well as the clustering of regional support schemes.
This chapter describes the approach taken and presents some of our key results together with recommendations on the way forward.
- Bergmann, B., Bitsch, C., Behlau, V., Jensen, S., Held, A., Pfluger, B., Ragwitz, M., & Resch, G. (2008). Harmonisation of support schemes. A European harmonised policy to promote RES-electricity – sharing costs & benefits. A report compiled within the European research project futures-e (Deriving a Future European Policy for Renewable Electricity), co-financed under the European Commission’s “Intelligent Energy for Europe” Programme. Fraunhofer ISI, Karlsruhe, Germany. Accessible at www.futures-e.org
- Bundesministerium für Wirtschaft und Energie (BMWI). (2016). Pressemitteilung, 30.11.2016 Gabriel zum Winterpaket der EU-Kommission, Accessible at: http://www.bmwi.de/Redaktion/DE/Pressemitteilungen/2016/20161130-gabriel-zum-winterpaket-der-eu-kommission-wichtiger-schritt-um-europaeischen-energierahmen-neu-zu-gestalten-aber-noch-kein-ganz-grosser-wurf.html Berlin, checked on 09.12.2016.
- European Commission. (2016a). COM(2016) 765 final. Proposal for a directive of the European Parliament and of the Council amending Directive 2010/31/EU on the energy performance of buildings. Brussels 30-Nov-2016.Google Scholar
- European Commission. (2016b). COM(2016) 767 final/2. Proposal for a directive of the European Parliament and of the Council on the promotion of the use of energy from renewable sources (recast). Brussels 23-Feb-2017.Google Scholar
- European Commission. (2016c). COM(2016) 864 final/2. Proposal for a directive of the European Parliament and of the Council on common rules for the internal market in electricity (recast). Brussels 23-Feb-2017.Google Scholar
- European Commission. (2016d). COM(2016) 861 final/2. Proposal for a regulation of the European Parliament and of the Council on the internal market in electricity (recast). Brussels 23-Feb-2017.Google Scholar
- European Commission. (2016e). COM(2016) 861 final/2. Proposal for a regulation of the European Parliament and of the Council on the Governance of the Energy Union. Brussels 30-Nov-2016.Google Scholar
- European Commission. (2016f). SWD(2016) 410 final: Impact assessment. Accompanying the documents: COM(2016) 861 final, SWD(2016) 411 final, SWD(2016) 412 final, SWD(2016) 413 final. Brussels 30-Nov-2016.Google Scholar
- European Commission. (2016g). EU energy, transport and GHG emissions trends to 2050: Reference Scenario. Based on PRIMES modelling done by NTUA on behalf of the European Commission. DG Energy, DG Climate Action and DG Mobility and Transport. Brussels, 2016.Google Scholar
- Gephart, M., Klessmann, C., Kimmel, M., Page, S., & Winkel, T. (2012). Contextualising the debate on harmonising RES-E support in Europe – a brief pre-assessment of potential harmonisation pathways. A report compiled within the project beyond2020 (work package 6), supported by the EACI of the European Commission within the “Intelligent Energy Europe” programme. Ecofys, Berlin, Germany. Accessible at www.res-policybeyond2020.eu
- Guillou, D. (2010). Assessing design options of a harmonised feed-in-tariff scheme for Europe. Karlsruhe: Karlsruher Institut für Technologie and Fraunhofer ISI.Google Scholar
- Huber, C., Faber, T., Haas, R., Resch, G., Green, J., Ölz, S., White, S., Cleijne, H., Ruijgrok, W., Morthorst, P., Skytte, K., Gual, M., del Río, P., Hernández, F., Tacsir, A., Ragwitz, M., Schleich, J., Orasch, W., Bokemann, M., & Lins, C. (2004). Final report of the project Green-X (on deriving dynamic RES-E policies). Accessible at www.green-x.at
- Resch, G., Liebmann, L., Ortner, A., Busch, S., Panzer, C., del Río, P., Ragwitz, M., Steinhilber, S., Klobasa, M., Winkler, J., Gephart, M., Klessmann, C., de Lovinfosse, I., Papaefthymiou, G., Nysten, J. V., Fouquet, D., Johnston, A., van der Marel, E., Bañez, F., Batlle, C., Fernandes, C., Frías, P., Linares P., Olmos, L., Rivier, M., Knapek, J., Kralik, T., Faber, T., Steinbaecker, S., Borasoy, B., Toro, F., & Plascencia, L. (2014). Final report of the beyond2020 project – Approaches for a harmonisation of RES(-E) support in Europe. A report compiled within the project beyond2020 (work package 7), supported by the EASME of the European Commission within the “Intelligent Energy Europe” programme. Fraunhofer ISI, Karlsruhe (Germany). Accessible at www.res-policy-beyond2020.eu
- Resch, G, Ortner, A., Zehetner, C., Liebmann, L., Busch, S., Welisch, M., Geipel, J., del Rio, P., Ragwitz, M., Held, A., Steinhilber, S., Magosch, M., Klessmann, C., Janeiro, L., Tesniere, L., Behrens, A., Hassel, A., Genoese, F., Karakosta, C., Papapostolou, A., Doukas, H., Jansen, J., Veum, K., Glachant, J.-M., Henriot, A., Gil, H., & Szabo, L. (2017). Final report of the towards2030-dialogue project – Dialogue on a RES policy framework for 2030. A report compiled within the project towards2030-dialogue, supported by the EASME of the European Commission within the “Intelligent Energy Europe” programme. Technische Universität Wien, Vienna (Austria). Accessible at www.towards2030.eu