Corporate governance tends to resonate when large and multinational firms’ decisions’ outcomes make the daily news headlines. It is a concept that hardly comes up, that is until stakeholders’ outrage reaches the boardroom, mass media, or worse, social media. It is only natural that current and potential stakeholders take action when they become aware of organizations engaging in questionable and/or unethical practices. Therefore, it is imperative to understand the internal and external dynamics of governance attributes, as well as their impact on current and potential stakeholder perceptions and actions, and influence on organizational standing.
KeywordsSocial media Corporate scandals Internal and external fit Stakeholders Goal convergence
- Baruah, T. D. (2012, May). Effectiveness of Social Media as a tool of communication and its potential for technology enabled connections: A micro-level study. International Journal of Scientific and Research Publications, 2(5), 1–10.Google Scholar
- Bevir, M. (2009). Key concepts in governance. Thousand Oaks: SAGE Publications Ltd.Google Scholar
- Bruns, A., & Burgess, J. E. (2011). The use of Twitter hashtags in the formation of ad hoc publics. Proceedings of the 6th European Consortium for Political Research (ECPR) General Conference (pp. 1–9). Reykjavik: University of Iceland.Google Scholar
- Cresci, E. (2017, January 30). #DeleteUber: How social media turned on Uber. Retrieved January 18, 2018, from The Guardian Tech: https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/jan/30/deleteuber-how-social-media-turned-on-uber.
- Downie, L. J., & Kaiser, R. G. (2003). The news about the news: American journalism in peril. New York: Vintage Books/Random House, Inc.Google Scholar
- Egan, M. (2017, August 31). Wells Fargo uncovers up to 1.4 million more fake accounts. Retrieved January 18, 2018, from CNN Money: http://money.cnn.com/2017/08/31/investing/wells-fargo-fake-accounts/index.html.
- Egan, M. (2018, May 20). Wells Fargo altered documents about business clients. Retrieved September 13, 2018, from CNN Money: https://money.cnn.com/2018/05/17/news/companies/wells-fargo-alter-documents/index.html.
- European Commission. (2013, March 19). A guide to communicating about CSR. Retrieved October, 2013, from http://ec.europa.eu/enterprise/policies/sustainable-business/files/csr/campaign/documentation/download/guide_en.pdf.
- Farhi, P. (2017, October 21). Report: Bill O’Reilly settled sexual harassment claim from Fox News contributor for $32 million. Retrieved January 18, 2018, from https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/bill-oreilly-settled-sixth-sexual-harassment-claim-for-32-million/2017/10/21/ff34b24c-b68c-11e7-9e58-e6288544af 98_story.html?utm_term=.42325bbao6ac.
- Farrow, R. (2017, October 23). From aggressive overtures to sexual assault: Harvey Weinstein’s accusers tell their stories. Retrieved January 18, 2018, from https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/from-aggressive-overtures-to-sexual-assault-harvey-weinsteins-accusers-tell-their-stories.
- Freeman, R. E. (1984). Strategic management: A stakeholder approach. London: Pitman Publishing.Google Scholar
- Gourevitch, P. A., & Shinn, J. (2005). Political power and corporate control: The new global politics of corporate governance. New Jersey: Princeton University Press.Google Scholar
- ICGN. (2014). ICGN global governance principles. London: International Corporate Governance Network.Google Scholar
- Kwaak, J. S. (2017, August 2). Samsung heir, testifying at his trial, denies bribery charges. Retrieved January 18, 2018, from Business Day: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/02/business/samsung-lee-jae-yong-trial-south-korea.html.
- Larson, S. (2017, October 4). Every single Yahoo account was hacked – 3 billion in all. Retrieved January 18, 2018, from CNN Money. CNN Tech: http://money.cnn.com/2017/10/03/technology/business/yahoo-breach-3-billion-accounts/index.html.
- Maguire, M. (2011, January). The future of corporate social responsibility reporting. The Frederick S. Pardee center for the study of the longer-range future, Issues in Brief, (19), 1–8.Google Scholar
- Markos, S., & Sridevi, M. S. (2010, December). Employee engagement: The key to improving performance. International Journal of Business and Management, 5(12), 89–96.Google Scholar
- Marrelli, A. F. (2011, May/June). Employee engagement and performance management in the federal sector. Performance Improvement, 50(5), 5–13.Google Scholar
- Matousek, M. (2018, August 14). Pressure mounts on Tesla as it gets hit with a third securities fraud lawsuit in wake of Elon Musk’s ‘funding secured’ tweet. Retrieved September 14, 2018, from Business Insider: https://www.businessinsider.com/tesla-hit-with-new-lawsuit-alleging-elon-musk-manipulated-stock-price-2018-8.
- O’Brien, S. A. (2017, September 8). Giant Equifax data breach: 143 million people could be affected. Retrieved January 18, 2018, from CNN Tech. Business: http://money.cnn.com/2017/09/07/technology/business/equifax-data-breach/index.html.
- OECD. (2010, June 22). Corporate governance of small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs). Retrieved May 23, 2017, from http://www.oecd.org/daf/ca/corporategovernanceofstate-ownedenterprises/corporategovernanceofsmallandmedium-sizedenterprisessmes.htm.
- Pierson, B. (2018, August 13). Former Transmar executive sentenced to three years prison for fraud. Retrieved September 13, 2018, from Reuters. Banks: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-transmar-fraud/former-transmar-executive-sentenced-to-three-years-prison-for-fraud-idUSKBN1KY2AX.
- Porter, M. E., & Kramer, M. R. (2006, December). Strategy and society. The link between competitive advantage and corporate social responsibility. Harvard Business Review, 84(12), 78–92.Google Scholar
- Spence, E. (2017, December 20). Apple confirms it degrades your old iPhone’s performance. Retrieved January 18, 2018, from Tech: https://www.forbes.com/sites/ewanspence/2017/12/20/apple-iphone-kill-switch-ios-degrade-cripple-performance-battery/#5bcfc75e16a8.
- Stelter, B. (2018, September 13). ‘60 Minutes’ producer Jeff Fager fired after sending CBS reporter ‘unacceptable’ message. Retrieved September 14, 2018, from CNN Money: https://money.cnn.com/2018/09/12/media/jeff-fager-cbs-steps-down/index.html.
- Sternberg, E. (2004). Corporate governance: Accountability in the marketplace (2nd ed.). London: The Institute of Economic Affairs.Google Scholar
- Strandberg, C. (2005, March). The convergence of corporate governance and corporate social responsibility. Thought-Leaders Study. Burnaby, BC: Strandberg Consulting.Google Scholar
- Sullivan, M. (2018, September 13). Abusive media moguls harmed more than just individual women. They shaped a misogynistic culture. Retrieved September 14, 2018, from The Washington Post. Perspective: https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/abusive-media-moguls-harmed-more-than-just-individual-women-they-shaped-a-misogynistic-culture/2018/09/13/a3712638-b74a-11e8-a2c5-3187f427e253_story.html?utm_term=.ff9a7f6cd825.
- UNCTAD. (2008). Guidance on corporate responsibility indicators in annual reports. New York and Geneva: United Nations Publication.Google Scholar
- Victor, D., & Stevens, M. (2017, April 10). United Airlines passenger is dragged from an overbooked flight. Retrieved January 18, 2018, from Business Day: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/10/business/united-flight-passenger-dragged.html.