Brexit as a National Transformation Programme: Project Management Perspective
This chapter discusses Brexit from a project management perspective. The British referendum in June 2016, with its surprising outcome, triggered the need for a major national transformation consisting of many projects. Various Brexit projects can be perceived as a single programme because they are interrelated and related to a common goal. The chapter analyses the current set-up of the Brexit programme from the perspective of Public Value Management theory and the Managing Successful Programmes framework. Two major areas are discussed: programme governance flaws and civil service resource scarcity.The study finds that the Brexit programme is a high-risk undertaking that poses huge organisational challenges to Britain’s public sector in the years to come.
- After Brexit: The UK Will Need to Renegotiate at Least 759 Treaties. Financial Times (2017). Financial Times Research. https://www.ft.com/content/f1435a8e-372b-11e7-bce4-9023f8c0fd2e?mhq5j=e6.
- Busch, B., & Matthes, J. (2016). Brexit—The Economic Impact: A Meta-Analysis (IW-Report No. 10/2016).Google Scholar
- Capability in the Civil Service. (2017). NAO National Service Office (HC 919 SESSION 2016–17 24 MARCH 2017). https://www.nao.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Capability-in-the-civil-service.pdf.
- Dhingra, S., Ottaviano, G., Sampson, T., & Van Reen, J. (2016). The Consequences of Brexit for UK Trade and Living Standards. London School of Economics.Google Scholar
- Evans, A. (2018). Planning for Brexit: The Case of the 1975 Referendum. The Political Quarterly, 89(1), 127–133. https://www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/sites/default/files/publications/IFGJ5003_Whitehalls_preparation_131216_V10.pdf.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Kierzenkowski R., Pain, N., Rusticelli, E., & Zwart, S. (2016). The Economic Consequences of Brexit: A Taxing Decision. OECD.Google Scholar
- Managing Successful Programmes. (2011). London, UK: The Stationery Office, Axelos.Google Scholar
- Moore, M. (1995). Creating Public Value—Strategic Management in Government. Cambridge: Harvard University Press.Google Scholar
- Owen, J., & Munro. R. (2016). Whitehall’s Preparation for the UK’s Exit from the EU. Institute for Government.Google Scholar
- Owen, J., Shephard, M., & Sojanowic, A. (2017). Implementing Brexit: Customs. IGF Analysis, Institute for Government Commerce.Google Scholar
- The Civil Service After Article 50. (2017). Institute for Government. https://www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/sites/default/files/publications/IFGJ5327_Report_Brexit_Civil_Service_080317_WEB.pdf.