Finland’s Chairmanship of the Arctic Council: Setting Priorities and Implementing Them
Finland became the Chair of the Arctic Council in May of 2017. It has now passed the halfway point in its leadership term with its program of “Exploring Common Solutions” to Arctic needs. This chapter focuses its attention on how and why the specific elements of this thematic program were chosen and the progress that the Finnish Chairmanship has made, thus far, in advancing its objectives. The specific sponsored initiatives of the program are discussed as a reflection of both Finnish priorities and current institutional efforts. Finland’s leadership goals, methods, and roles are examined within the context of providing the Arctic Council with the necessary direction to achieve its long-term objectives. Consideration is given to the particularly challenging international environment in which the Finnish Chairmanship operates.
KeywordsArctic Council Arctic affairs Chairmanship Chairmanship Program International institutions Finland
- Arctic Environmental Protection Strategy. (1991). 14 June 1991 ILM 30, at 1624–1669.Google Scholar
- Alaskan Arctic Council Host Committee. Available at http://fm.kuac.org/term/alaska-arctic-council-host-committee. Accessed 1 Aug 2018.
- Arctic Centre, University of Lapland, ‘Finland’s Arctic Council Chairmanship in the times of rising uncertainty.’ Available at https://lacris.ulapland.fi/en/projects/finlands-arctic-council-chairmanship-in-the-times-of-rising-uncertainty(a485f3a2-8218-4696-8874-48aa1c1edb95).htm. Accessed 1 Aug 2018.
- Arctic Council SDWG project. “Good practice recommendations for environmental impact assessment and public participation in the Arctic” Available at http://www.sdwg.org/activities/sdwg-projects-2017-2019/arctic-eia/arctic-eia-new/. Accessed 1 Aug 2018.
- Arctic Council Sustainable Development Working Group (SDWG) Programme “Teacher education for diversity and equality in the arctic.” Available at http://www.sdwg.org/activities/sdwg-projects-2017-2019/teacher-education-for-diversity-and-equality-in-the-arctic/. Accessed 1 Aug 2018.
- Arctic-Finland. Available at https://www.arcticfinland.fi/EN. Accessed 1 Aug 2018.
- Black Carbon and Methane Expert Group. Available at https://oaarchive.arctic-council.org/handle/11374/1167. Accessed 1 Aug 2018.
- Dorough, D (2017, January 1). “The rights, interests and role of the Arctic Council permanent participants” in Governance of Arctic shipping, 68–103.Google Scholar
- Exploring Common Solutions. (2017). Finland’s chairmanship program for the Arctic Council 2017–2019.Google Scholar
- Fairbanks Declaration. (2017). Available at https://oaarchive.arctic-council.org/bitstream/handle/11374/1910/EDOCS-4072-v5-ACMMUS10_FAIRBANKS_2017_Fairbanks_Declaration-2017.pdf?sequence=9&isAllowed=y, Accessed 1 Aug 2018.
- Finland’s Strategy for the Arctic Region. (2013). Available at https://vnk.fi/documents/10616/334509/Arktinen+strategia+2013+en.pdf/6b6fb723-40ec-4c17-b286-5b5910fbecf4. Accessed 1 Aug 2018.
- History of the Arctic Council. Available at https://arctic-council.org/index.php/en/about-us/arctic-council. Accessed 1 Aug 2018.
- Koivurova, T., & Smieszek, M. From the Rovaniemi process to exploring common solutions: Finland’s priorities in the changing Arctic. Available at http://www.worldpolicy.org/blog/2017/06/08/rovaniemi-process-exploring-common-solutions-finland%E2%80%99s-priorities-changing-arctic. Accessed 1 Aug 2018.
- Lapland Arctic Council host committee. Available at https://www.laplandhostcommittee.fi/LaplandHostCommittee. Accessed 1 Aug 2018.
- Paris Agreement. (adopted 2015, December 12, entered into force on 4 November 2016 in accordance with Article 21(1) of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change) No. 54113.Google Scholar
- Program for the Finnish Chair of the Arctic Council 2000–2002. Available at https://oaarchive.arctic-council.org/handle/11374/1781, Accessed 1 Aug 2018.
- Proposal for a Council Decision on the signing, on behalf of the European Union, of the Agreement to prevent unregulated high seas Fisheries in the Central Arctic Ocean (2018, June 12). Available at https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/ALL/?uri=COM%3A2018%3A0453%3AFIN. Accessed 1 Aug 2018.
- SAO Meeting, Levi, Finland, March 2008. News from the meeting available at https://www.arctic-council.org/index.php/en/our-work2/8-news-and-events/486-sao-levi-2018-02. Accessed 1 Aug 2018.
- ‘SDGs in the Arctic’, International high level conference, Organised by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Denmark, December 2017. Available at http://um.dk/en/foreign-policy/the-arctic/the-sdgs-in-the-arctic/. Accessed 1 Aug 2018.
- Statement by President Trump on the Paris Climate Accord, June 1, 1017. Available at https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings-statements/statement-president-trump-paris-climate-accord/. Accessed 1 Aug 2018.
- Summary Report, SAO Plenary meeting, Oulu, Finland, October 2017.Google Scholar
- Summary Report. SAO Plenary meeting, Levi, Finland, March 2018.Google Scholar
- Task Force on Improved Connectivity in the Arctic (TFICA). Available at https://arctic-council.org/index.php/en/about-us/subsidiary-bodies/task-forces. Accessed 1 Aug 2018.
- The United Nations 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. Resolution adopted by the General Assembly 25 September 2015, UN G.A. A/RES/70/1. Available at http://www.un.org/ga/search/view_doc.asp?symbol=A/RES/70/1&Lang=E. Accessed 1 Aug 2018.
- U.S. Arctic Council Chairmanship Program 2015–2017 (2015, February). Available at https://oaarchive.arctic-council.org/bitstream/handle/11374/1433/USCHAIR_Doc1_Proposed_US_Chairmanship_Program_Feb_2015_AC_SAO_CA04.pdf?sequence=1&isAllowed=y. Accessed 1 Aug 2018.
- U.S. Department of State, Media Note dated August 3, 2017: Communication regarding intent to withdraw from Paris agreement, U.S. Department of State. Available at https://www.state.gov/r/pa/prs/ps/2017/08/273050.htm. Accessed 1 Aug 2018.
- WMO’s Observer profile. Available at http://aim-council.arctic-council.org/index.php/en/our-work2/8-news-and-events/461-observer-wmo. Accessed 1 Aug 2018.