AB-SD Hybrid Modelling Approach: A Framework for Evaluating Industrial Sustainability Scenarios
The transformation of industry towards improved sustainability results from a strategic complex setting of factors and through a transformation process. However, such process requires methodologies and tools that support and facilitate the communication and cooperation of different players and their interactions. Hybrid modelling approaches have gained prominence exceeding limitations of traditional methodologies and tools with respect to complexity arisen of industrial sustainability strategies. This paper proposes a hybrid modelling approach based on Agent Based and System Dynamics supporting the analysis and redesign of industrial areas based on sustainable strategy with industrial symbiosis. The results of this work suggest that the hybrid modelling approach can provide useful information about the effectiveness of sustainable issues. Additionally, the model can be applied as a generic framework to different economic sectors including manufacturing, energy system and agriculture.
KeywordsIndustrial sustainability Industrial symbiosis Hybrid modelling approach Agent based (AB) System dynamics (SD)
- Abdelghany, M., Eltawil, A.B.: Linking approaches for multi-methods simulation in healthcare systems planning and management. Int. J. Ind. Syst. Eng. 10(2), 1–16 (2017)Google Scholar
- Baki, S., Koutiva, I., Makropoulos, C.: A hybrid artificial intelligence modelling framework for the simulation of the complete, socio-technical, urban water system (2012)Google Scholar
- Demartini, M., Tonelli, F., Bertani, F.: Approaching industrial symbiosis through agent-based modeling and system dynamics. Studies in computational intelligence, 762.th edn, pp. 171–185. Springer, Cham (2018)Google Scholar
- Demartini, M., Tonelli, F., Damiani, L., Revetria, R., Cassettari, L.: Digitalization of manufacturing execution systems: the technology for realizing future smart factories. In: Proceedings of the Summer School Francesco Turco, September 2017, pp. 326–333 (2017)Google Scholar
- Nasirzadeh, F., Khanzadi, M., Mir, M.: A hybrid simulation framework for modelling construction projects using agent-based modelling and system dynamics: an application to model construction workers’ safety behavior. Int. J. Constr. Manag. 18(2), 132–143 (2018)Google Scholar