Comparing Coverage in Syria and Yemen: Quantitative Analysis
This chapter investigates why Syria receives more attention than Yemen in the media using quantitative data from Google’s GDelt project. The results empirically demonstrate that Syria receives more attention than Yemen, both prior to and during the ongoing conflicts in the two countries. The results further show that while humanitarian issues in Syria receive more attention than in Yemen, overall the use of force by state and nonstate actors draws more media attention in both conflicts.
KeywordsQuantitative analysis Security Humanitarian crisis Refugees Use of force
- Almasy, S., & Hanna, J. (2015, March 26). Saudi Arabia launches airstrikes in Yemen. CNN. https://www.cnn.com/2015/03/25/middleeast/yemen-unrest/index.html. Accessed 20 May 2018.
- Arango, T., & Saad, H. (2012, October 4). Turkey’s parliament backs military measures on Syria. The New York Times. https://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/05/world/middleeast/syria.html. Accessed 20 May 2018.
- Assamiee, M. (2008). Yemeni community in Ethiopia: A history of integration. Ethiopian Review. http://www.ethiopianreview.com/index/2340. Accessed 17 May 2018.
- BBC. (2002, May 6). U.S. expands ‘axis of evil’. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/1971852.stm. Accessed 17 May 2018.
- BBC. (2018a, May 10). Israel strikes Iranian targets in Syria in response to rocket fire. http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-44063022. Accessed 16 May 2018.
- BBC. (2018b, April 24). Yemen profile. http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-14704951. Accessed 17 May 2018.
- BBC. (2018c, April 24). Syria profile – Timeline. http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-14703995. Accessed 20, May 2018.
- Borger, J., White, M., MacAskill, E., & Watt, N. (2003, April 15). Bush vetoes Syria war plan. The Guardian. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2003/apr/15/syria.usa. Accessed 16 May 2018.
- Budge, K. (2018, March 19). Refugees out of sight, out of mind two years on from EU-Turkey deal. The Conversation. https://theconversation.com/refugees-out-of-sight-out-of-mind-two-years-on-from-eu-turkey-deal-93451. Accessed 20 May 2018.
- Carboni, A. (2018, February 9). Yemen: The world’s worst humanitarian crisis enters another year. Relief Web. https://reliefweb.int/report/yemen/yemen-world-s-worst-humanitarian-crisis-enters-another-year. Accessed 23 May 2018.
- CNN. (2008, September 17). Al-Qaeda blamed for U.S. embassy attack. CNN. http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/meast/09/17/yemen.blast/. Accessed 17 May 2018.
- Conway, M. (2017, April 7). Timeline: U.S. approach to the Syrian Civil War. Politico. https://www.politico.com/story/2017/04/timeline-united-states-response-syria-civil-war-237011. Accessed 20 May 2018.
- Dearden, L., & Bolton, D. (2015, October 1). Russia strikes at rebels in Syria and Iranian forces cross the border to intervene: as it happened. Independent. https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/russian-air-strikes-in-syria-they-didnt-hit-isis-us-and-france-say-as-emergency-talks-planned-live-a6674616.html. Accessed 17 May 2018.
- Erickson, A. (2017, December 22). 1 million people have contracted cholera in Yemen. You should be outraged. The Washington Post. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2017/12/21/one-million-people-have-caught-cholera-in-yemen-you-should-be-outraged/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.6ae3530c1a73. Accessed 16 May 2018.
- Friedman, U. (2018, March 1). The ‘CNN effect’ dies in Syria. The Atlantic. https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2018/03/cnn-effect-syria/554387/. Accessed 12 May 2018.
- Hawkins, V. (2001). The price of inaction. The media and humanitarian intervention. The Journal of Humanitarian Assistance, [online]. https://sites.tufts.edu/jha/archives/1504. Accessed 12 May 2018.
- Moore, J. (2017, December 21). U.S. military targeting ISIS and Al-Qaeda in secret Yemen operations using ground forces. Newsweek. http://www.newsweek.com/yemen-pentagon-confirms-boots-ground-against-isis-and-al-qaeda-754960. Accessed 20 May 2018.
- Nikbakht, D., & McKenzie, S. (2018, April 3). The Yemen war is the world’s worst humanitarian crisis, UN says. CNN. https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/03/middleeast/yemen-worlds-worst-humanitarian-crisis-un-intl/index.html. Accessed 9 May 2018.
- Quinn, B. (2016, March 14). Russia’s military action in Syria – Timeline. The Guardian. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/mar/14/russias-military-action-in-syria-timeline. Accessed 20 May 2018.
- Reuters. (2016, February 16). Saudi Arabia took part in weekend air strikes against Islamic State: Pentagon. https://www.reuters.com/article/us-mideast-crisis-saudiarabia-airstrikes-idUSKCN0VP2FM/. Accessed 16 May 2018.
- Robinson, P. (2013). Media as a driving for in international politics: The CNN effect and related debates. Global Policy. https://www.globalpolicyjournal.com/blog/08/10/2013/media-driving-force-international-politics-cnn-effect-and-related-debates. Accessed 12 May 2018.
- Saul, J., Hafezi, P., & Georgy, M. (2017, March 21). Exclusive: Iran steps up support for Houthis in Yemen’s war – Sources. https://www.reuters.com/article/us-yemen-iran-houthis/exclusive-iran-steps-up-support-for-houthis-in-yemens-war-sources-idUSKBN16S22R. Accessed 16 May 2018.
- Shaheen, K. (2016, August 24). Turkey sends tanks into Syria in operation aimed at Isis and Kurds. The Guardian. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/aug/24/turkey-launches-major-operation-against-isis-in-key-border-town. Accessed 20 May 2018.
- Starr, B., & Diamond, J. (2017, April 7). Trump launches military strike against Syria. CNN. http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/06/politics/donald-trump-syria-military/. Accessed 9 Apr 2018.
- UNHCR. (2017). Yemen: Regional refugee and migrant response plan 2017. http://data.unhcr.org/yemen/regional.php. Accessed 18 May 2018.
- UNHCR. (2018). Yemen UNHCR Update, March 2018. Relief Web. https://reliefweb.int/report/yemen/yemen-unhcr-update-march-2018. Accessed 16 May 2018.