PSM Contribution to Democracy: News, Editorial Standards and Informed Citizenship
This chapter examines the questions that PSM face about their continued role and relevance against the backdrop of a fast-changing and increasingly commercialised media landscape. It examines the evidence about news produced by PSM and considers the implications for democracy in two ways. First, it draws on the latest academic scholarship to examine the evidence about whether PSM produce news that is distinctive from their market-driven rivals. Second, it considers how informative PSM coverage is compared to their commercial competitors. The chapter assesses the latest research to establish whether public or commercial media systems offer the most effective way of raising public knowledge about politics and public affairs.
- Boehlert, E. (2016, November 3). The Media Isn’t for Hilary Clinton: Her Emails Have Been Covered More Than All Policy Proposals. Salon, Salon Media Group. https://www.salon.com/2016/11/03/the-media-isnt-for-hillary-clinton-her-emails-have-been-covered-more-than-all-policy-proposals/.
- Curran, J. et al. (2012). Media System, Public Knowledge and Political Engagement: An 11-Nation Study. Unpublished material.Google Scholar
- Cushion, S. (2015). News and Politics: The Rise of Live and Interpretive News. London: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Cushion, S., & Thomas, R. (2018). Reporting Elections: Rethinking the Logic of Campaign Coverage. London: Polity.Google Scholar
- Freedman, D. (2018). “Public Service” and the Journalism Crisis: Is the BBC the Answer? Television and New Media. Online First. Google Scholar
- Media Coalition Reform. (2018). Draft Proposals for the Future of the BBC. http://www.mediareform.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/MRC_flyer_20180312_WEB-1.pdf.
- Reinemann, C., Stanyer, J., & Scherr, S. (2016). Hard and Soft News. In C. de Vreese, F. Esser, & D. Hopmann (Eds.), Comparing Political Journalism. London: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Tyndall, A. (2016). Year in Review. Tyndall Report. http://tyndallreport.com/yearinreview2016/.