Intercultural Performance Ecologies in the Making: Minor(ity) Theatre and the Greek Crisis
- 143 Downloads
Drawing from Gilles Deleuze and Félix Guattari’s nuanced iterations on minor literature and the rhizome trope, this chapter opens up a series of intricate vistas to interrogate the currency of emerging intercultural performance ecosystems and/or new interweaving performance cultures in contemporary performances of the refugee and migrant condition on the contemporary geography of the Greek hybrid minor stage and society. At the intersection between European Union social policies and laws, Greek paradigms of intercultural performance—not just as an aesthetic construct but also as a social policy in line with the EU’s ascending rhetoric of interculturalism—and Ric Knowles’ theorization of performance ecologies, this analysis further seeks to provide new insights into the ways real-life narratives of underrepresented communities, performance, and society centrifugally intercede in the confrontation between dominant/host and subordinate/guest cultures by destabilizing master narratives around asylum issues through ethically engaged representational practices of the refugee crisis in verbatim theatre within the crisis stricken host nation. Through a selection of minoritarian ecosophy paradigms stemming from theatre semiotics to the processes of cultural reception, this chapter brings together interculturalism and performance to explore aesthetic, cultural, and political representations of refugeeness, forced migration, displacement, liminality, citizenship, statelessness and community theatre as a medium of social integration. In line with these premises and the questions they raise, the chapter looks at representations of refugee narratives in the work of the community theatre group Station Athens comprising refugees/actors from Pakistan, Afghanistan, Iran, and Bangladesh living in Athens, Greece and directed by Yiolanda Markopoulou—and the productions of E-Fyga (I_Left) (2014), We are the Persians (2015), and Mesa-Zontes (Inter-Mediates) (2016) presented at the Hellenic Festival and the Athens Biennale among other venues.
- Act of the European Year of Intercultural Dialogue. 2008. European Union Committee. http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=LEGISSUM%3Al29017. Accessed 18 Mar 2018.
- Aeschylus. 1991. The Suppliants. Trans. Peter Burian. Princeton: Princeton University Press.Google Scholar
- ———. 2009. Persae. Ed. A.F. Garvie. Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Agamben, Giorgio. 1998. Homo Sacer: Sovereign Power and Bare Life. Palo Alto: Stanford University Press.Google Scholar
- Alexandri, Georgia. 2011. The Breeder Feeder: Tracing Gentrification in Athens’ City Centre. Unpublished Paper Presented at the International RC21 Conference, The Struggle to Belong: Dealing with Diversity in 21st Century Urban Settings, Amsterdam, Netherlands, July.Google Scholar
- Appadurai, Arjun. 1996. Modernity at Large: Cultural Dimensions of Globalisation. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press.Google Scholar
- Balfour, Michael. 2013. Refugee Performance: Practical Encounters. Bristol: Intellect.Google Scholar
- Bannerji, Himani. 2000. The Dark Side of the Nation: Essays on Multiculturalism, Nationalism, and Gender. 1st ed. Toronto: Canadian Scholars Press.Google Scholar
- Bhabha, Homi K. 2004. The Location of Culture. London: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Bharucha, Rustom. 1990. Theatre and the World: Performance and the Politics of Culture. London/New York: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Butler, Judith, and Athena Athanasiou. 2013. Dispossession: The Performative in the Political. Cambridge: Polity Press.Google Scholar
- Carlson, Marvin. 2008. Intercultural Theory, Postcolonial Theory, and Semiotics: The Road Not (Yet) Taken. Semiotica 168: 129–142.Google Scholar
- Convention on the Protection and Promotion of the Diversity of Cultural Expressions. 2005. UNESCO. http://portal.unesco.org/en/ev.php-URL_ID=31038&URL_DO=DO_TOPIC&URL_SECTION=201.html. Accessed 19 Mar 2018.
- Deleuze, Gilles, and Félix Guattari. 1983. Anti-Oedipus: Capitalism and Schizophrenia. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press.Google Scholar
- ———. 1993. A Thousand Plateaus. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press.Google Scholar
- ———. 2010. Kafka: Toward a Minor Literature. In The Norton Anthology of Theory and Criticism, ed. Vincent B. Leitch, William E. Cain, Laurie A. Finke, Barbara E. Johnson, McGowan John, T. Denean Sharpley-Whiting, and Jeffrey J. Williams, 2nd ed., 1441–1456. New York: Norton.Google Scholar
- Dosse, François. 2010. Gilles Deleuze and Félix Guattari: Intersecting Lives. New York: Columbia University Press.Google Scholar
- Euripides. 2001. Hecuba, The Trojan Women, Andromache. Trans. James Morwood. Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Fischer-Lichte, Erika. 2011. Dialogue: Erika Fischer-Lichte and Rustom Bharucha. Textures: Online Platform for Interweaving Performance Cultures. http://www.textures-platform.com/?p=1667.
- hooks, bell. 2009. Choosing the Margin as a Radical Space of Openness. In The Applied Theatre Reader, ed. Tim Prentki and Sheila Preston, 80–85. New York: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Levinas, Emmanuel. 1969. Totality and Infinity: An Essay on Exteriority. Trans. Alphonso Lingis. Pittsburgh: Duquesne University Press.Google Scholar
- ———. 1986. The Trace of the Other. In Deconstruction in Context, ed. Mark C. Taylor. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.Google Scholar
- ———. 1991. Le temps et l’autre. Paris: Presses Universitaires de France.Google Scholar
- McDonald, Marianne. 1992. Ancient Sun, Modern Light: Greek Drama on the Modern Stage. New York: Columbia University Press.Google Scholar
- ———. 2017. Theatre as Intercultural Dialogue? When Social Policy Meets Performance Practice. Unpublished Conference Presentation, BRESAL, National University of Ireland, Galway, October.Google Scholar
- Parthenis, C., G. Fragoulis, and D. Kalliaras. n.d. Interculturalism at New Crossroads: Faces of Exclusion and Inclusion. http://opencourses.uoa.gr/modules/document/file.php/PPP108/Διδακτικό%20Πακέτο/Άρθρα/Interculturalism%20at%20new%20crossroads_Faces%20of%20exclusion%20and%20inclusion%20%28Parthenis%20-%20Fragoulis%20-%20Kalliaras%29.pdf. Accessed 19 Mar 2018.
- Pavis, Patrice. 1994. Theatre at the Crossroads of Culture. Trans. Loren Kruger. London: Routledge.Google Scholar
- ———. 1996. The Intercultural Performance Reader. London: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Remoundou, Natasha. 2017. The Suppliants of Syria: Narratives of Displacement and Resettlement in Refugee Performances of Greek Tragedy. The Arab Journal of Performance Studies: Interweaving Performance Cultures & Border-Crossing Thinking 5 (November): 16–34.Google Scholar
- Smith, Helena. 2014a. Greek Court Acquits Farmers Who Shot 28 Bangladeshi Strawberry Pickers. The Guardian, July 31. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jul/31/greek-court-acquits-farmers-shot-strawberry-pickers
- ———. 2014b. Greece’s Migrant Fruit Pickers: ‘They Kept Firing. There Was Blood Everywhere’. The Guardian, September 1. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/sep/01/greece-migrant-fruit-pickers-shot-they-kept-firing
- van Weyenberg, Astrid. 2013. The Politics of Adaptation: Contemporary African Drama and Greek Tragedy. Amsterdam: Rodopi Publishers.Google Scholar
- Wetmore, Kevin. 2003. Black Dionysus: Greek Tragedy and African American Theatre. New York: Macfarland.Google Scholar