Great Surprise! It’s the Terra Nova!
The meeting of the two ships – Captain Robert Falcon Scott’s Terra Nova with its British National Antarctic Expedition crewmembers and Roald Amundsen’s Fram with its Norwegian Antarctic Expedition crewmembers – in the Bay of Whales, in February 1911, is documented in this chapter, using the diaries of the Norwegian expedition members. Included is a description of Amundsen’s showcasing of his dogs to make an indelible impression on the Englishmen and to demonstrate his superiority in this endeavor. Also included are the Englishmen’s reactions to the sled dogs, to the dogs’ surprising performance, and to Amundsen’s position to make a successful run for the South Pole.
- Amundsen, R. Antarctic expedition diary, 16 January 1911–21 March 1911, NB Ms.8° 1196, Manuscripts Collection. Oslo: National Library of Norway.Google Scholar
- Amundsen, R. film footage. Roald Amundsen’s South Pole expedition (1910–1912). Norwegian Film Institute (2010). Original film footage by Roald Amundsen and Kristian Prestrud, taken during the Norwegian Antarctic Expedition, 1910–1912, restored and released on DVD. Restorers M. Skallerud, Laterna Magica et al., J. Anders Diesen, I. Dokka, L. Gustavson, H. Østgaard Lund, et al. (Eds.), Oslo: Norsk Filminstitutt.Google Scholar
- Amundsen, R. (1912). The South Pole: An account of the Norwegian Antarctic expedition in the “Fram”, 1910–1912, 2 vols (translator A.G. Chater). London: John Murray.Google Scholar
- Amundsen, R. (1927) 2008. My life as an explorer. Reprint, Amberley Publishing Plc, Stroud, Gloucestershire (citations refer to the Amberley edition).Google Scholar
- Gjertsen, H. F. (editor Kløver GO) (2011). Hjalmar Fredrik Gjertsens dagbøker: Sydpolsekspedisjonen 1910–1912 [Hjalmar Fredrik Gjertsen’s diaries: The South Pole expedition 1910–1912]. Oslo: The Fram Museum.Google Scholar
- Hansen, L. (editor Kløver GO) (2011). Ludvig Hansens dagbok 1910–1912 [Ludvig Hansen’s diary 1910–1912]. In Mannskapets dagbøker: Sydpolsekspedisjonen 1910–1914 [The Crew’s diaries: The South Pole expedition 1910–1914]. Oslo: The Fram Museum.Google Scholar
- Hanssen, H. (1936). Voyages of a Modern Viking. London: George Routledge & Sons Ltd.Google Scholar
- Johansen, F. H. Antarctic expedition diary, “Dagbog tilhørende Fredrik Hjalmar Johansen, ført på 3die Framexpedition, påbegyndt efter afgangen fra Norge, 15de august 1910” [“Diary of Fredrik Hjalmar Johansen, conducted on 3rd Fram Expedition, commenced after departure from Norway, 15 August 1910”], 15 August 1910–26 April 1911, NB Ms.4° 2775:C:2, Manuscripts Collection. Oslo: National Library of Norway.Google Scholar
- Rønne, M. (editor Kløver GO) (2011). Martin Rønnes dagbok 1910–1912 [Martin Rønne’s diary 1910–1912]. In Mannskapets dagbøker: Sydpolsekspedisjonen 1910–1914 [The Crew’s diaries: The South Pole expedition 1910–1914]. Oslo: The Fram Museum.Google Scholar
- Wisting, O. (1930). 16 År Med Roald Amundsen [16 years with Roald Amundsen]. Oslo: Gyldendal Norsk Forlag.Google Scholar