This chapter introduces the concept of climate friendly goods and technology (CFGT) and technology transfer through trade channel. It briefly discusses the export-led development paradigm shifting with trade diversity in Asia and threats of climate change in the twenty-first century. It also introduces the shifting economic crisis (Asia crisis to global crisis) associated with the global climate policy regimes. It raises issues of climate constraint and estimates potential trade opportunity with study plan.
KeywordsClimate change Export-led development Cost of development Environmental degradation Capacity and capability GHG EGS CFGT Potential opportunity Doha round Efficient technology Clean product Energy-efficient technology Asian financial crisis Global financial crisis Southeast Asia Emerging market East Asia Renewable energy
- Jha, Veena. 2008. Environmental Priorities and Trade Policy for Environmental Goods: A reality Check, ICTSD Issue Paper No 7, September.Google Scholar
- ———. 2009. Climate Change, Trade and Production of Renewable Energy Supply Goods: The Need to Level the Playing Field, ICTSD Paper.Google Scholar
- Mani, M. 2014. Greening India’s Growth: Costs, Valuations and Trade-offs. London: Routledge.Google Scholar
- World Bank. 1992. World Development Report. New York: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- ———. 2008. International Trade and Climate Change: Economic, Legal and Institutional Perspectives, the World Bank. New York: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar