Predictive Maintenance for Buses: Outcomes and Potential from an Italian Case Study
The paper deals with an innovative Predictive Maintenance (PdM) system to assess the quality of the engine oil for buses, tested in Ravenna within the European Bus System of the Future - EBSF_2 project, funded by the European Union. The system relies on a PdM software linked to oil sensors and filters, installed on a test fleet, and on an IT architecture, specifically designed. The system enables a continuous assessment of the oil quality, which is highly predictive of the engine performance, thus detecting potential breakdowns and planning the replacement of spare parts ahead of regular schedules; the system also detects which substances and problems cause the poor quality of the oil.
The paper describes the system, the testing scenarios, the performance assessment, and the main outcomes. Results also enable an assessment of additional, potential environmental benefits (especially mitigation of emissions toxicity and improvement of waste management). Additional features are also reported such as an algorithm to estimate the date when oil has to be changed. Such results are analysed and commented with the research objective to provide advanced knowledge for further research studies.
KeywordsPredictive maintenance ITS Lubricants Bus EBSF_2
- 1.Maze, T.H., Cook, A.R., Dutta, U.: Bus Fleet Management Techniques Guide, Final Report, Office of Technical Assistance, Urban Mass Transportation Administration, U.S. Department of Transportation, Washington, D.C. (1985)Google Scholar
- 2.Transit Cooperative Research Program.: Preventive Maintenance Intervals for Transit Buses A Synthesis of Transit Practice. TCRP Synthesis 81 Report, Transportation Research Board, Washington, D.C. (2010)Google Scholar
- 3.Chardsutthi, P., Achariyasombat, K., Adsavakulchai, S.: E-training for private bus preventive maintenance. http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/5657600/. Accessed 13 May 2017
- 5.Corazza, M.V., Guida, U., Musso, A., Tozzi, M.: From EBSF to EBSF_2: a compelling agenda for the bus of the future. A decade of research for more attractive and sustainable buses. In: Proceedings of EEEIC 2016 - International Conference on Environment and Electrical Engineering, pp. 621–626 (2016). http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/7555479/?arnumber=7555479&tag=1. Accessed 20 Nov 2016
- 6.Municipality of Ravenna. Urban Traffic Plan. Official Report 2014. http://www.comune.ra.it/Aree-Tematiche/Ambiente-Territorio-e-Mobilita/Mobilita/Piano-Generale-del-Traffico/PGTU-2014. Accessed 18 Mar 2016
- 7.Vasari, D. (ed.): EBSF_2 D 11.2 Ravenna: Preparation and Execution of the demonstration, Intermediate release report, (2016). Restricted documentGoogle Scholar
- 10.Ntziachristos, L., Samaras, Z.: Emission Inventory Guidebook. European Environment Agency, Brussels (2014)Google Scholar