Traffic and Environmental Rehabilitation of the Agioi Anargyroi Square of the Municipality of Agioi Anargyroi – Kamatero
The subject of this paper is the traffic and environmental upgrading of the Agioi Anargyroi Square of the Municipality of Agioi Anargyroi – Kamatero. The aim is to improve the traffic of both the vehicles and other road users and to make the Square a reference point for the area. In this context, a three-step strategy is formulated and proposed: (a) diversion of large volumes of through traffic using driver information systems which will propose shorter trips outside the Municipality to the drivers, (b) traffic interventions and traffic management around the Agioi Anargyroi Square, and (c) urban renovation interventions at the open public spaces of the Agioi Anargyroi Square and the surrounding area, aiming to acquire a unique supra-local character. Emphasis was given mainly on the first stage and, in fact, shorter routes were found for the through traffic that bypass the Municipality. This was feasible using the Google Traffic feature of Google Maps which proved to be quite promising for further relevant applications in the future.
KeywordsAgioi Anargyroi – Kamatero Mobility Traffic management
- 1.McCarthy, Μ.: Transport and health. In: Marmot, M., Wilkison, R. (eds.) Social Determinants of Health, pp. 132–154. Oxford University Press, Oxford, United Kingdom (1999)Google Scholar
- 3.Google Maps Homepage. https://maps.google.com. Accessed 1 Feb 2018
- 5.Zacharaki, E., Pitsiava-Latinopoulou, M.: A strategy for the implementation of traffic calming schemes. Trasporti Europei 22, 22–27 (2002). http://hdl.handle.net/10077/8462
- 6.Moxa 3G Connectivity for VMS Networks page. https://www.moxa.com/applications/3G_Connectivity_for_VMS_Networks.htm. Accessed 1 Feb 2018
- 7.Margariti, C.: Traffic and environmental rehabilitation of the Agioi Anargyroi square of the Municipality of Agioi Anargyroi – Kamatero. Hellenic Open University, Patras, Greece (2017). [in Greek]. https://apothesis.eap.gr/handle/repo/35281