Inverse Methodology for Estimating the Heat Transfer Coefficient in a Duplex Stainless Steel Casting
In sand casting of metallic alloys, the cooling rate is a key parameter that affects the microstructure and the appearance of defects and residual stresses in the end cast components. In this work, a numerical model was developed to simulate the cooling of a duplex stainless steel casting on a furan-bonded sand mold. The heat transfer coefficient (HTC) as a function of temperature was determined by an inverse method. A good agreement between experimental and numerical cooling curves was achieved, showing the importance of estimating HTC as a function of temperature. On the basis of these results, it is possible to calculate thermal residual stresses and model the microstructure of duplex stainless steel castings with complex geometries.
KeywordsFinite element analysis Inverse analysis Heat transfer coefficient Duplex stainless steel Furan-bonded sand
We acknowledge the financial support of this work by the Hungarian State and the European Union under the EFOP-3.6.1-16-2016-00010 project and the Hungarian-Portuguese bilateral Scientific and Technological (TÉT_16-1-2016-0097) project/Project 3883, Fundação para a Ciência e Tecnologia (FCT—Portugal) and Nemzeti Kutatási, Fejlesztési és Innovációs Hivatal (NKFIH—Hungary).
The authors also acknowledge FERESPE—Fundição Portuguesa de Ferro e Aço (Portugal) for providing the material and technical support.
- 1.Honggang, Z., Xiangru, C., Lu, A., Qije, Z.: Effect of cooling rate on solidification structure and linear contraction of a duplex stainless steel. China Foundry 9(3), 239–243 (2012)Google Scholar
- 2.Palumbo, G., Piccininni, A., Piglionico, V., Guglielmi, P., Sorgente, D., Tricarico, L.: Modelling residual stresses in sand-cast superduplex stainless steel. J. Mater. Process. Technol. 217, 253–261 (2015)Google Scholar
- 6.Wang, D., Zhou, C., Xu, G., Huaiyuan, A: Heat transfer behavior of top side-pouring twin-roll casting. J. Mater. Process. Technol. 214(6), 1275–1284 (2014)Google Scholar
- 8.Felde, I., Fried, Z., Szénási, S.: Solution of 2-D inverse heat conduction problem with graphic accelerator. Mater. Perform. Charact. 6(5), 882–893 (2017)Google Scholar
- 13.Nilsson, J.-O., Kangas, P., Karlsson, T., Wilson, A.: Mechanical properties, microstructural stability and kinetics of sigma-phase formation in 29Cr-6Ni-2Mo-0.38 N superduplex stainless steel. Metall. Mater. Trans. A 31(A), 35–45 (2000)Google Scholar
- 14.Elmer, J.W., Palmer, T.A., Specht, E.D.: Direct observations of sigma phase formation in duplex stainless steels using in situ synchrotron X-Ray diffraction. Metall. Trans. A 38(A), 464–475 (2007)Google Scholar
- 17.Vacca, S., Martorano, M.A., Heringer, R. Boccalini Jr., M.: Determination of the heat transfer coefficient at the metal-mold interface during centrifugal casting. Metall. Mater. Trans. A 46(A), 2238–2248 (2015)Google Scholar