Design of a Framework to Promote Physical Activity for the Elderly
Physical inactivity is estimated to be one of the leading risk factors for global mortality and it is associated with several illnesses, such as type 2 diabetes, cardiovascular diseases and various types of cancers. To tackle this issue and promote physical activity amongst the elderly, a system that computes automatically, in real-time, the score of a Boccia game was developed. The objective of this paper is to infer the best design possible for the User Interface (UI) that displays this information. To achieve this, two surveys were conducted involving 45 participants. In the first survey, the participants were asked what features they would like to see in the UI. Based on these remarks, the authors designed an UI, along with several variations. The preferences between these variations were afterwards evaluated in the second survey. Thus, the final design of the UI was validated before being shown to the elders.
KeywordsHuman factors Boccia Interface design Physical inactivity
This article is a result of the project Deus ex Machina: NORTE – 01 – 0145 – FEDER - 000026, supported by Norte Portugal Regional Operational Programme (NORTE 2020), under the PORTUGAL 2020 Partnership Agreement, through the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF).
- 3.WHO: W.H.O. Global recommendations on physical activity for health, World Health Organization, Geneva (2010)Google Scholar
- 4.WHO: Factsheets on Health-Enhancing Physical Activity in the 28 European Union Member States of The WHO European Region, pp. 1–27 (2015)Google Scholar
- 6.Westhoff, T.H., Franke, N., Schmidt, S., Vallbracht-Israng, K., Meissner, R., Yildirim, H., et al.: Too old to benefit from sports? The cardiovascular effects of exercise training in elderly subjects treated for isolated systolic hypertension. Kidney Blood Press. Res. 30, 240–247 (2007)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.Calado, A., Leite, P., Soares, F., Novais, P., Arezes, P.: Boccia Court Analysis for Promoting Elderly Physical Activity (2018, submitted)Google Scholar
- 10.Leite, P., Calado, A., Soares, F.: Boccia Court Analisys for Real-Time Scoring(2018, submitted)Google Scholar
- 11.Fisk, A.D.: Designing for Older Adults (2007)Google Scholar
- 12.Lee, M., Park, J.: Senior user’s color cognition and color sensitivity features in visual information on web-interface. In: LNCS (LNAI and LNBI), vol. 8515, pp. 129–137. Springer, Cham (2014)Google Scholar
- 14.Gerling, K.M., Schulte, F.P., Masuch, M.: Designing and evaluating digital games for frail elderly persons. In: Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on Advances in Computer Entertainment Technology - ACE 2011, vol. 1 (2011)Google Scholar
- 15.Silva, V., Ramos, J., Soares, F., Novais, P., Arezes, P., Sousa, F., Silva, J., Santos, A.: iBoccia: a framework to monitor the Boccia gameplay in elderly. In: LNCVB, vol. 27 (2018)Google Scholar