Introduction of User Experience into the Design of Academic Services at University Centre of Defence
The introduction of user experience (UX) approach into public services is still a not widespread field. This paper presents a real experience in a University institution, re-designing an academic service that provides to its students from an UX approach. Specifically, the main objective is to improve the efficiency in the use of different resources during the provision of the management of the degree Thesis. The initial diagnosis reveals the asymmetry of the workload among different actors, highlighting the administrative office. Moreover, there is no any computerized management system, which would speed up the performance of certain tasks, reducing the risk of error. This service’s re-design is based on the introduction of an information management system that simplifies the tasks related to all information and documentation generated during the process. In this way, this system allows the re-distribution of workload giving greater importance and responsibility to each stakeholder where it is necessary.
KeywordsDesign thinking User-centered design Service design Academic services
- 1.Brown, T.: Change by Design: How Design Thinking Transforms Organizations and Inspires Innovation, vol. 31 (2009)Google Scholar
- 3.Lockwood, T.: Design Thinking: Integrating Innovation, Customer Experience, and Brand Value. Culture. p. 256 (2009)Google Scholar
- 4.Patrício, L., Gustafsson, A., Fisk, R.: Upframing service design and innovation for research impact. J. Serv. Res., pp. 1–14, December 2017Google Scholar
- 7.Commission, Design: Restarting Britain2: Design and Public Services. Annu. Rev. Policy Des. 2, 1–10 (2014)Google Scholar
- 8.Coghlan, D., Brannick, T.: Doing Action Research in Your Own Organization. SAGE Publications, London (2014)Google Scholar