On Continuous User Authentication via Hidden Free-Text Based Monitoring
This paper investigates the stages and specific features of continuous user authentication by hidden monitoring of keystroke dynamics when creating a free text. The stages include extraction of informative characteristics of keyboard rhythm, creation and update of user profiles and identification of efficiency criteria. A software application was developed for the project. The authors further analyzed existing algorithms for user identification based in metric distances. Previously proved features of keystroke dynamics were scaled with regard to frequency of use of Russian and English letters in free texts.
KeywordsKeystroke dynamics Continuous authentication Behavioral biometrics Feature selection Classification
The reported study was funded by RFBR according to the research project № 18-07-01007.
- 4.Shanmugapriya, D., Padmavathi, G.: A survey of biometric keystroke dynamics: approaches, security and challenges. Int. J. Comput. Sci. Inf. Secur. 5(1), 115–119 (2009)Google Scholar
- 10.Vasiliev, V.I., Lozhnikov, P.S., Sulavko, A.E., Eremenko, A.V.: Hidden biometric identification technologies of users of computer systems (review). Inf. Secur. Issues 3(110), 37–47 (2015)Google Scholar
- 12.Mahfouz, A., Mahmoud, T.M., Eldin, A.S.: A survey on behavioral biometric authentication on smartphones. Res. Artic. J. Inf. Secur. Appl. 37, 28–37 (2017)Google Scholar
- 13.Pentel, A.: Predicting age and gender by keystroke dynamics and mouse patterns. In: Proceedings of UMAP 2017 Adjunct, Publication of the 25th Conference on User Modeling, Adaptation and Personalization, pp. 381–385 (2017)Google Scholar
- 16.Morales, A., Fierrez, J., Tolosana, R., Ortega-Garcia, J., Galbally, J., Gomez-Barrero, M., et al.: KBOC: keystroke biometrics ongoing competition. In: Proceedings 8th IEEE International Conference on Biometrics: Theory, Applications, and Systems, pp. 1–6 (2016)Google Scholar
- 17.Kochegurova, E.A., Gorokhova, E.S., Mozgaleva, A.I.: Development of the keystroke dynamics recognition system. J. Phys.: Conf. Ser. 803(1), 1–7 (2017)Google Scholar
- 20.Alsultan, A., Warwick, K.: Keystroke dynamics authentication: a survey of free-text methods. Int. J. Comput. Sci. Issues 10(4), 1–10 (2013)Google Scholar