This chapter provides a broad background to the nature of the current digital media environment journalists are operating in, outlining the scholarly and industry debates pertaining to the challenges and opportunities that this media landscape offers journalism in general, and international reporting more specifically. It lays out the current media landscape by considering the disrupted media sector in which journalists now take their place. This chapter examines the many technological interventions coming to bear on journalism to see how they can enrich the influence of the foreign correspondent.
KeywordsForeign correspondent Media disruption Technological interventions Digital influence
- Anderson, C. W., Bell, E., & Shirky, C. (2012). Post-industrial Journalism: Adapting to the Present. New York: Tow Centre for Digital Journalism, Columbia University.Google Scholar
- Berret, C., & Phillips, C. (2016). Teaching Data and Computational Journalism. New York: Columbia Journalism School.Google Scholar
- Campbell, C. (2017). World Press Trends 2017. Frankfurt: WAN-IFRA.Google Scholar
- Crawford, H., Hunter, A., & Filipovic, D. (2015). All Your Friends Like This: How Social Networks Took Over News. Sydney: HarperCollins.Google Scholar
- Jarvis, J. (2014). Geeks Bearing Gifts: Imagining New Futures for News. New York: CUNY Journalism Press.Google Scholar
- Kelly, K. (2016). The Inevitable: Understanding the 12 Technological Forces That Will Shape Our Future. New York: Penguin Books.Google Scholar
- Lim, S. (2017, September 27). Legacy Media Organisations Are Paying the Price for Slow Pivot to Digital Disruption, Experts Say. The Drum. http://www.thedrum.com/news/2017/09/27/legacy-media-organisations-are-paying-the-price-slow-pivot-digital-disruption. Accessed 30 June 2018.
- Nielson, R. K., & Sambrook, R. (2016). What Is Happening to Television News? Digital News Project 2016. Reuters Institute for the Study of Journalism. http://reutersinstitute.politics.ox.ac.uk/sites/default/files/2017-06/What%20is%20Happening%20to%20Television%20News.pdf. Accessed 15 May 2018.
- Sammartino, S. (2017). The Lessons School Forgot. Milton, QLD: Wiley.Google Scholar