Valorization of Foundry Green Sand in Road Construction
In foundry industry, there are two important processes used to manufacture metallic parts: in the first one, permanent molds, typically metallic, are used to produce simple form of parts; and in the second, sands are used as lost molds and cores to produce complicated forms of parts which make their use very adaptable for large scale applications. However, the latter process generates significant quantities of sand waste because only small ones are recycled in factory, that is why it is very interesting to valorize these Spent Foundry Sands (SFS) in several other industrial sectors. The objectives of the present work were to valorize/reuse the foundry sands in road construction projects. It has been observed that the addition of hydraulic binders, leads to a significant increase in the CBR (California Bearing ratio) index up to 135% with the addition of 2% of lime and up to 75% with the addition of 2% of cement.
KeywordsSpent foundry sands (SFS) Valorization Treatment Road construction
- 1.Carnin, R.L.P., Folgueras, M.V., Luvizao, R.R., Correia, S.L., da Cunha, C.J., Zungan, R.S.: Use of an integrated approach to characterize the physicochemical properties of foundry green sands. Thermochim. Acta 543, 150–155 (2012)Google Scholar
- 3.Salokhe, E.P., Desai, D.B.: Application of foundry waste sand in manufacture of concrete. J. Mech. Civ. Eng. (IOSR-JMCE) 43–48 (2013)Google Scholar
- 5.AFNOR: Classification des sols - Guide de Terrassements Routiers ‘GTR’ - NF P 11 300, France (1992)Google Scholar
- 7.AFNOR: Indice CBR après immersion – Indice portant immédiat, Norme NF P94-07, France (1997)Google Scholar
- 8.AFNOR: Essai Proctor normal – Essai Proctor modifié, Norme NF P 94-093, France (1999)Google Scholar