Land Use Sensitivity Map for Impact of Land Management on Extreme Flood Events at the Northeast Coast of Peninsular (Malaysia)
In the recent decades, the alteration in the land cover has had severe hydrological effects disturbing the flood occurrences at the east coast of the peninsular Malaysia. The Kelantan River (KR) basin has been extremely influenced because of the quick variations in the usage of land between 1984 and 2013, due to deforestation and the conversion of the agricultural area. The purpose of the current study was to evaluate the influence of deforestation and the potential impact of agricultural area transformation on the hydrological functions such as surface water, lost water, and soil moisture on the KR basin. The Hydrological and Geotechnical Grid-based Regional Flood Model (HGGRF) was exploited to calculate the infiltration rate and consequent modifications in the discharge volume involving hourly rainfall occurrences over the last ten days of December 2014. The implementation of the HGGRF model revealed that the modifications in land cover brought about substantial alterations in hydrological response to surface water.
KeywordsFlood occurrence Kelantan river basin HGGRF model
- 1.De Roo, A., Schmuck, G., Perdigao, V., Thielen, J.: The influence of historic land-use changes and future planned land-use scenarios on floods in the Oder catchment. Phys. Chem. Earth, Parts A/B/C, vol. 20, pp. 1291–1300 (2003)Google Scholar
- 2.Drainage and Irrigation Department (DID): Annual flood report of DID for Peninsular Malaysia. Unpublished report, Kuala Lumpur (2004)Google Scholar
- 3.Fritsch, U.: Entwicklung von Landnutzungsszenarien fur die okologische Modellierung. Brandenburgische Umweltberichte 12, pp. 1–132. (2002) Downloadable on: http://opus.kobv.de/ubp/volltexte/2005/398/pdf/vol12.pdf
- 4.Lawrence, P.J., Chase, T.N.: Representing a new MODIS consistent land surface in the Community Land Model (CLM3.0). Journal of Geophys. Res.-Biogeosciences, vol. 112(G1) (2007)Google Scholar
- 6.Shattri, M., Saadatkhah, N., Zailani, Kh., Arnis, A., Noraizam, A. and Noradzah, A: Regional modelling of rainfall-induced runoff using hydrological model by incorporating plant cover effects: case study in Kelantan, Malaysia. Nat. Hazards, (2018) https://doi.org/10.1007/s11069-018-3322-z