A Complete Solution to Self-potential Anomalies Due to 2D Inclined Sheets Using Whale Optimization
A new heuristic solution to self-potential anomalies due to 2D inclined sheets of infinite horizontal extent is presented. This technique is based on using whale optimization algorithm (WOA) in order to infer the optimum solution of the problem. The inverted parameters are polarization amplitude (k), the half-width (a), the inclination angle (α) and the depth (h). The WOA has been tested on a synthetic example, the effect of random noise is analyzed as well and the method depicted good results using MATLAB code. The method has also been applied on two real examples from India. The inversion parameters illustrate that WOA accurately detects model parameters, and show good validation when compared with other inversion methods in the published literature.
KeywordsSelf-potential WOA 2D inclined sheet Artificial intelligence Inversion
- 3.Mirjalili, S., Lewis, A.: The whale optimization algorithm. In: Advances in Engineering Software (in press). J.advengsoft.2016.01.008Google Scholar
- 6.Rao, R.M., Babu, H., Sivakumar Sinha, G.: A Fourier transform for the interpretation of self-potential anomalies due to two-dimensional inclined sheet of finite depth. Pure Appl. Geophys. 120, 365–374 (1982)Google Scholar
- 7.Di Maio, R., Rani, P., Piegari, E., Milano, L.: Self-potential data inversion through a Genetic-Price algorithm. Comput. Geosci. 94, 86–95 (2016)Google Scholar
- 9.Biswas, A., Sharma, S.P.: Interpretation of self-potential anomaly over idealized body and analysis of ambiguity using very fast simulated annealing global optimization. Near Surf. Geophys. 13(2), 179–195 (2015)Google Scholar
- 10.Murthy, I.V.R., Sudhakar, K.S., Rao, P.R.: A new method of interpreting self potential anomalies of two-dimensional inclined sheets. Comput. Geosci. 31, 661–665 (2005)Google Scholar