Does End of Life Matter in Smart Cities?
In the smart city ecosystem, smart systems go through different phases of development from conception and design, through deployment and operation till end of service and retirement. Normally, city operators pay less attention to End of Life activities, compared to other phases of lifecycle. however, in the End of Life, the decommission of certain smart system shall be subject to applicable laws and regulations, like data privacy and cyber security. In addition, the outage of such smart system should be strategically aligned with the vision of the smart city. In this paper, we present the scenario of FIFA World Cup™ 2022, where Qatar has committed to donate part of its sports infrastructure to other countries. We particularly focus on the lifecycle of an IoT-enabled smart parking use-case in Lusail City.
KeywordsSmart city IoT Lifecycle management End of Life Ecosystem
- 2.DATEX II Browser (2017). http://datexbrowser.tamtamresearch.com/#/package/D2LogicalModel
- 4.Hefnawy, A., Bouras, A., Cherifi, C.: Lifecycle based modeling of smart city ecosystem. In: Springer Proceedings of the 14th International Conference on Information & Knowledge Engineering, Las Vegas, 27–30 July 2015 (2015)Google Scholar
- 5.Hefnawy, A., Bouras, A., Cherifi, C.: IoT for smart city services: lifecycle approach. In: ICC 2016, Proceedings of the International Conference on Internet of things and Cloud Computing, Article No. 55, Cambridge, 22–23 March 2016 (2016). https://doi.org/10.1145/2896387.2896440
- 6.Hefnawy, A., Bouras, A., Cherifi, C.: Relevance of lifecycle management to smart city development. Int. J. Prod. Dev. (2018, accepted)Google Scholar
- 7.Hefnawy, A., et al.: Combined use of lifecycle management and IoT in smart cities. In: IEEE Xpress Proceedings of 11th International Conference on Software, Knowledge, Information Management & Applications, Colombo, Sri Lanka, 06–08 December (2017)Google Scholar
- 9.Kubler, S., Robert, J., Hefnawy, A., Främling, K., Cherifi, C., Bouras, A.: IoT-based smart parking system for sporting event management. In: Proceedings of the 13th Annual International Conference on Mobile and Ubiquitous Systems: Computing, Networking and Services, Hiroshima, Japan, 28 November–1 December 2016 (2016)Google Scholar
- 11.QDVP: Qatari Diar VINCI Park (2017). http://www.mawaqifqatar.com/about. Accessed 17 Dec 2017
- 12.SCDL: Supreme Committee for Delivery and Legacy (2017). https://www.sc.qa/en. Accessed 17 Dec 2017
- 13.Smart Qatar. https://tasmu.gov.qa/en. Accessed 3 Dec 2017
- 14.SmartCities: Creating Municipal ICT Architectures: A Reference Guide from Smart Cities (2015). http://www.smartcities.info/ict-architecture. Accessed 13 Oct 2016