PLM for Education. The Next Generation of Engineers
Industry of the Future (IoF) or Industry 4.0 is bringing a new model of industry wherein it is necessary to acquire new skills by the new generation of engineering students.
The following paper pursues as a main objective the design and implementation of a new subject for students of Engineering at the University of Sevilla (Spain). In this subject, fundamentals aspect of PLM business models and engineering relationship are collected, and students are equipped of necessary knowledges and skills to customize PLM tools according to business requirements. As a practical application, students must undertake a real case based on a collaborative engineering study between design and manufacturing areas.
To achieve this goal, software architecture is described and provided to students for the management, configuration and industrialization of the data product, as well as the assignment of the tasks necessary to successfully achieve the different milestones involved in the project. This work describes the tools used to implement a practical application: ARAS INNOVATOR as PLM software, a LEGO product as DMU (Digital Mock-Up) and Redmine for project management.
KeywordsPLM tools Education Collaborative engineering Industry 4.0
- 1.Propeller Model Instructions. LEGO. https://www.lego.com/en-/us/service/buildinginstructions/search?initialsearch=6745#?text=6745. Accessed 17 Mar 2018
- 3.Chang, Y., Miller, C.L.: PLM curriculum development: using an industry-sponsored project to teach manufacturing simulation in a multidisciplinary environment. J. Manuf. Syst. 24(3), 171–177 (2005). (C. Dept. of Computer Graphics Technology, Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana, USA)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 4.Feldhusen, J., Löwer, M., Brezing, A., Neis, J.: DS 62: Proceedings of E and PDE 2010, the 12th International Conference on Engineering and Product Design Education - When Design Education and Design Research MeetGoogle Scholar
- 5.Kanai, K., Anderson, M.: Redmine as a web-based collaboration tool in engineering design courses. In: 120th ASEE Annual Conference & Exposition (2013)Google Scholar
- 7.Javvadi, L.: Product life cycle management an introduction (2011)Google Scholar
- 8.Lego Designer Software. https://www.lego.com/en-us/ldd. Accessed 17 Mar 2018
- 9.Mas, F., Menendez, L., Servan, J., Gomez, A., Rios, J.: Aerospace industrial digital mock-up exploitation to generate assembly shopfloor documentation (2012)Google Scholar
- 12.Vila, C., et al.: Collaborative product development experience in a senior integrated manufacturing course. Int. J. Eng. Educ. 25, 886–899 (2009)Google Scholar