Groundwater Flow Modelling of a Multilayer Aquifer in Semi-arid Context
The Takelsa multilayer aquifer system, located in north-eastern Tunisia, contains important groundwater resources that have mainly been used for agricultural purposes. To ensure a solid base for the sustainable management of this aquifer system, an adequate comprehensive hydrogeologic investigation was undertaken. A sampling campaign of stable isotopes was carried out in 2016 to identify groundwater recharge and related processes. A groundwater flow model was implemented. The model calibration was performed during a steady state, based on the average state of the period 1980–1984, using Modflow. Modelling results have been determined by a least squares fit of observed heads. The groundwater model was coupled with a physically based model (WetSpass model) used to quantify groundwater recharge and discharge of the Takelsa multilayer aquifer.
KeywordsGroundwater flow Modelling Recharge Isotopes Takelsa
- 1.APHA: Standard Methods for the Examination of Water and Wastewater, 19th edn. American public Health Association, Washington, DC (1995)Google Scholar
- 2.Harbaugh, A.W., Banta, E.R., Hill, M.C., McDonald, M.G.: Modflow-2000, the U.S. Geological Survey Modular Ground-Water Model: User Guide to Modularization Concepts and the Groundwater flow Process. US Geological Survey, Reston, VA, USA (2000)Google Scholar
- 3.Chiang, W.H., Kinzelbach, W.: 3D-Groundwater Modeling with PMWIN a Simulation System for Modeling Groundwater Flow and Pollution. Springer, Berlin (2001)Google Scholar
- 6.Zouari, K., Aranyossy, J.F., Mamou, A., Fontes, J.C.: Etude isotopique et géochimique des mouvements et de l’évolution des solutions de la zone aérée des sols sous climat semi-aride (Sud tunisien). In: the final meeting of the joint IAEA/GSF coordinated research program Proceedings on Stable and Radioactive Isotopes in the Study of the Unsaturated Soil Zone, pp. 121–144. IAEA, Vienna (1985)Google Scholar
- 7.Ghouili, N., Jarraya Horriche, F., Zammouri, M., Benabdallah, S., Farhat, B.: Coupling WetSpass and MODFLOW for groundwater recharge assessment: case study of the Takelsa multilayer aquifer (Northeastern Tunisia). Geosci. J. (2017). http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s12303-016-0070-5, pISSN 1226-4806 eISSN 1598-7477