Hydraulic Parameters Estimation Using 2D Resistivity Technique: A Case Study in Kapas Island, Malaysia
- 104 Downloads
This work is aimed at generating 2D aquifer porosity and hydraulic conductivity using 2D resistivity techniques. Two resistivity profile lines were measured in an island that is characterized by complex geology. Then, rock and soil samples were collected along the resistivity lines, together with water samples for laboratory analysis which includes determination of the electrical properties of the samples using an inductance-capacitance-resistance (LCR) meter to calibrate the results. Subsequently Bussian equation was employed to determine the aquifer porosity, and then, the hydraulic conductivity of the aquifer via the Kozeny-Carman-Bear equation. Next 2D cross-sections of both porosity and hydraulic conductivity were plotted using surfer software. The result was compared with the pumping test and the results were found to be very close to one another (40 and 38 md−1), respectively. These findings would enhance researchers’ understanding of patterns of groundwater flow in an aquifer system.
Keywords2D Resistivity Hydraulic properties Hydraulic conductivity Porosity Aquifer Small island
The authors wish to acknowledge the efforts of Late Dr. Shaharin Ibrahim who played a major role in this research. May he rest in peace.
- 3.de Lima, O., Niwas, S.: Estimation of hydraulic parameters of shaly sandstone aquifers from geoelectrical measurements. J. Hydrol. 235(1–2), 12–26 (2000)Google Scholar
- 4.Archie, G.: The electrical resistivity log as an aid in determining some reservoir characteristics. Am. Instit. Min. Metal. Eng. Tech. Publ. Pet. Technol. 1422, 8–13 (1942)Google Scholar
- 9.Samouëlian, A., Cousin, I., Tabbagh, A., Bruand, A., Richard, G.: Electrical resistivity survey in soil science: a review. Soil Tillage Res. 83, 173–193 (2005)Google Scholar
- 11.Niwas, S., Gupta, P.K., de Lima, O.A.L.: Nonlinear electrical conductivity response of shaly-sand reservoir. Curr. Sci. 92(5), 612–617 (2007)Google Scholar
- 14.Domenico, P.A., Schwartz, F.W.: Physical and Chemical Hydrogeology, 2nd edn. Wiley, New York (1998)Google Scholar
- 15.Lide, D.R.: CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics, 74th edn. Boca Raton, FL. Internet Version 2005. http://www.hbcpnetbase.com. CRC Press (2005)
- 16.Loke, M.: Electrical imaging surveys for environmental and engineering studies A practical guide to 2-D and 3-D surveys. 10 2000 [Online]. Available: http://www.heritagegeophysics.com/. Accessed 12 11 2012
- 18.Hördt, A., Blaschek, R., Kemna, A., Zisser, N.: Hydraulic conductivity estimation from induced polarisation data at the field scale—the Krauthausen case history. J. Appl. Geophys. 62, 33–46 (2007)Google Scholar