Monitoring of Grasslands Management Practices Using Interferometric Products Sentinel-1
Grasslands are globally important for their economic and environmental services, for these reasons their conservation and their mode of exploitation must be monitored. In this work we wanted to study the relationship between temporal interferometric coherence, radar backscattered coefficient and types of agricultural practices associated with grasslands such as grazing, mowing, and the mixed exploitation of these two practices. High coherence values due to backscattering from the ground were linked to ploughed bare fields and low vegetation height and the backscattering coefficient σo increases with the biomass up to a saturation level. Results revealed that grazing actions are easily detectable especially with the coherence values while mowing date cannot be clearly detected whether by coherence or by backscattered coefficient.
KeywordsGrasslands Mowing Grazing Sentinel-1 Times series Interferometric coherence Radar backscattered coefficient
- 1.Huyghe, C., Vliegher, A., Gils, B., Peeters, A. (coordinators).: Grasslands and herbivore production in Europe and effects on common policies. Versailles, France: Editions Quae (2014)Google Scholar
- 2.O’Mara FP.: The role of grasslands in food security and climate change. Ann. Bot 110, 1263–1270 (2012). https://doi.org/10.1093/aob/mcs209doi:
- 4.Ali, I.: Retrieval of grassland biophysical parameters using multitemporal optical and radar satellite data. Ph.D. thesis, University College Cork, Cork, Ireland, 299 pages (2016)Google Scholar
- 5.Lopes, M., Fauvel, M., Ouin, A., Girard, S.: Potential of Sentinel-2 and SPOT5 (Take5) time series for the estimation of grasslands biodiversity indices. In: IEEE MultiTemp 2017—9th International Workshop on the Analysis of Multitemporal Remote Sensing Images, Jun 2017, Bruges, Belgium, pp. 1–4 (2017)Google Scholar
- 8.Fieuzal, R.: Apports des données radar pour l’estimation des paramètres biophysiques des surfaces agricoles. Sciences de la Terre. Université Toulouse III - Paul Sabatier. Français (classification réalisée par Marais-Sicre en 2010) (2013)Google Scholar