The Human Cost of Modern Hospital and Healthcare
The burnout, depression, unhappiness with work and life balance, and physician suicide are an important public health problem. Most recently, the Center for Disease Control (CDC) has published data on alarming 30% increase of suicidal rate among Americans. The suicidal rate among physicians is higher than the general population. Unfortunately, few studies have evaluated information about mental health comorbidities and psychosocial stressors which may contribute to physician suicide. While many factors have been stressed as culprit for this major crisis, the fact remain that we need to do more as society and particularly as academic health institutions, as hospitals, and as surgical leadership of major organizations.
KeywordsBurnout Suicidal Surgeons Anesthesiologist Physician suicidal rate
- 1.Freudenberger HJ. Staff burn-out. J Soc Issues. 1974;30(1):159–65. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-4560.1974.tb00706.x.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 3.Patti GM, Schlotman F, Sarr MG. The problem of burnout among surgeons. JAMA Surgery. 2018;153:5.Google Scholar
- 12.Misiołek A, Gil-Monte PR, Misiołek H. Prevalence of burnout in Polish anesthesiologists and anesthetist nursing professionals: a comparative non-randomized cross-sectional study. J Health Psychol. 2017;22(4):465–74. https://doi.org/10.1177/1359105315604377. Epub 2016 Jul 9.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 15.Fumis RRL, Junqueira Amarante GA, de Fátima NA, Vieira Junior JM. Moral distress and its contribution to the development of burnout syndrome among critical care providers. Ann Intensive Care. 2017;7(1):71. https://doi.org/10.1186/s13613-017-0293-2. Epub 2017 Jun 21.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 17.Dall'Ora C, Griffiths P, Ball J, Simon M, Aiken LH. Association of 12 h shifts and nurses’ job satisfaction, burnout and intention to leave: findings from a cross-sectional study of 12 European countries. BMJ Open. 2015;5(9):e008331. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjopen-2015-008331.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 24.American Foundation for Suicide Prevention. Healthcare professional burnout, depression and suicide prevention. 2018. Retrieved from: https://afsp.org/our-work/education/healthcare-professional-burnout-depression-suicide-prevention/. Accessed 3 June 2018.
- 26.Gold KJ, Sen A, Schwentk TL. Details on suicide among U.S. physicians: data from the National Violent Death Reporting System. Gen Hosp Psychiatry. 2013;35(1):45–9. Published online 2012 Nov 2. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.genhosppsych.2012.08.005.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 31.Joseph V. Sakran, Haytham Kaafarani, ; Nicolas J. Mouawad, and Heena P. Santry. When things go wrong. ACS Bull 2011; 96 (8); 13–16).Google Scholar
- 35.Look FD. Leadership and medicine. Gulf Breeze: Fire Starter Publishing; 2009.Google Scholar
- 36.Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Suicide rates rising across the U.S. June 7th, 2018. Retrieved from: https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2018/p0607-suicide-prevention.html. Accessed 17 June 2018.