- 181 Downloads
Chapman presents an introduction covering the multiple factors prompting the US and many of its allies to purchase the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter (JSF). This chapter lists the JSF’s primary US contractors, the program’s financial costs, its problems with delays and cost overruns, and emerging international security trends making a new jet fighter necessary for these countries. It also describes the multiple governmental and nongovernmental entities seeking to influence JSF policymaking in multiple countries and describes the multifaceted nature of source materials used to write this book.
- Byrnes, Michael W. “Nightfall: Machine Autonomy in Air-to-Air Combat.” Air and Space Power Journal, 28 (3) (May/June 2014): 48–75. http://www.airuniversity.af.mil/Portals/10/ASPJ/journals/Volume-28_Issue-3/F-Byrnes.pdf. Accessed August 15, 2018.
- Cornish, Paul, and Andrew M. Dorman. “Complex Security and Strategic Latency: The UK Strategic Defence and Security Review 2015.” International Affairs, 91 (2) (2015): 351–370. https://www.chathamhouse.org/sites/files/chathamhouse/INTA91_2_09_Cornish_Dorman.pdf. Accessed May 25, 2018.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Deni, John R. “NATO’s Rebirth: NATO’s New Trajectories After the Wales Summit.” Parameters, 44 (3) (Autumn 2014): 57–65. http://ssi.armywarcollege.edu/pubs/parameters/Issues/Autumn_2014/USAWC_Quarterly_Parameters_Autumn_v44n3.pdf. Accessed August 14, 2018.
- The Dynamics of Military Revolution 1300–2050. MacGregor Knox and Williamson Murray, eds. (New York: Cambridge University Press, 2001).Google Scholar
- Ekmektsioglu, Eleni. “Hypersonic Weapons and Escalation Control in East Asia.” Strategic Studies Quarterly, 9 (2) (Summer 2015): 62. http://www.airuniversity.af.mil/Portals/10/SSQ/documents/Volume-09_Issue-2/ekmektsioglou.pdf. Accessed March 24, 2017.
- Gertler, Jeremiah. F-35 Joint Strike Fighter (JSF) Program (Washington, DC: Library of Congress, Congressional Research Service, 2014). https://digital.library.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metadc944760/. Accessed March 24, 2017.
- Herr, Andrew. “Will Humans Matter in the Wars of 2030?” Joint Force Quarterly, 77 (2nd Quarter 2015): 76–83. http://ndupress.ndu.edu/Portals/68/Documents/jfq/jfq-77/jfq-77_76-83_Herr.pdf. Accessed March 24, 2017.
- Human-Robot Interactions in Future Military Operations. Michael Barnes and Florian Jentsch, eds. (London: Routledge, 2016).Google Scholar
- International Military Operations in the 21st Century: Global Trends and the Future of Intervention. Per M. Norheim-Martinsen and Tore Nyhamer, eds. (London: Routledge, 2015).Google Scholar
- Jogerst, John D. “The Fifth-Generation Fighter Pilot Force.” Air and Space Power Journal, 30 (4) (Winter 2016): 92–94. http://www.au.af.mil/au/afri/aspj/digital/pdf/articles/2016-Winter/C-Jogerst.pdf. Accessed March 24, 2017.
- Murray, Williamson. Military Adaptation in War With Fear of Change (New York: Cambridge University Press, 2011).Google Scholar
- National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2018: Conference Report to Accompany H.R. 2810 (House Report 115-404). (Washington, DC: GPO, 2017): 698, 707, 710, 761. https://www.congress.gov/115/crpt/hrpt404/CRPT-115hrpt404.pdf. Accessed December 18, 2017.
- “Remarks by President Trump on the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action.” (Washington, DC: The White House, May 8, 2018): 1–7. https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings-statements/remarks-president-trump-joint-comprehensive-plan-action/. Accessed August 15, 2018.
- Schneider, Jacquelyn, and Julia Macdonald. “Technology and Adaptation on the Modern Battlefield.” Social Science Research Network, 2016. https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/Delivery.cfm/SSRN_ID2814202_code2104798.pdf?abstractid=2814202&mirid=1/. Accessed March 24, 2017.
- Simeone, Nick. “Hagel Outlines Budget Reducing Troop Strength, Force Structure” (Washington, DC: Armed Forces Press Service, February 24, 2014): 1. http://archive.defense.gov/news/newsarticle.aspx?id=121703. Accessed December 18, 2017.
- Simón, Luis. “NATO’s Rebirth: Assessing NATO’s Eastern European ‘Flank’”. Parameters, 44 (3) (Autumn 2014): 67–79. http://ssi.armywarcollege.edu/pubs/parameters/Issues/Autumn_2014/USAWC_Quarterly_Parameters_Autumn_v44n3.pdf. Accessed August 15, 2018.
- The Sources of Military Change: Culture, Politics, and Technology. Theo Farrell and Terry Terriff, eds. (Boulder, CO: Lynne Rienner, 2002).Google Scholar
- U.S. Congress. House Committee on Armed Services. Russian Military Developments and Strategic Implications (Washington, DC: GPO, 2015). http://purl.fdlp.gov/GPO/gpo54841. Accessed March 24, 2017.
- U.S. Department of Defense. Department of Defense Selected Acquisition Reports (SARs)—December 2016 (Washington, DC: DOD, July 18, 2017): 8. https://www.defense.gov/News/News-Releases/News-Release-View/Article/1251392/department-of-defense-selected-acquisition-reports-sars-december-2016/. Accessed December 18, 2017.
- U.S. Government Accountability Office. The F-35 Joint Strike Fighter: Current Outlook is Improved, But Long-Term Affordability is a Major Concern (Washington, DC: GAO, 2013): 3, 5, 1. www.gao.gov/assets/660/652948.pdf. Accessed March 24, 2017.
- ———. F-35 Joint Strike Fighter: Assessment Needed to Address Affordability Challenges. (Washington, DC: GAO, 2015): 1. http://www.gao.gov/assets/670/669619.pdf. Accessed March 24, 2017.
- ———. F-35 Joint Strike Fighter: Continued Oversight Needed as Program Plans to Begin Development of New Capabilities (Washington, DC: GAO, 2016): 5–6. http://www.gao.gov/assets/680/676762.pdf. Accessed March 24, 2017.
- U.S. Joint Chiefs of Staff. DOD Dictionary of Military and Associated Terms (Washington, DC: U.S. Joint Chiefs of Staff, 2018): 123. http://www.jcs.mil/Portals/36/Documents/Doctrine/pubs/dictionary.pdf. Accessed August 15, 2018.
- U.S. Office of Management and Budget. America First: A Budget Blueprint to Make America Great Again (Washington, DC: GPO, 2017): 15–16. https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/BUDGET-2018-BLUEPRINT/pdf/BUDGET-2018-BLUEPRINT.pdf. Accessed March 24, 2017.