Nuclei Detection Using Mixture Density Networks
Nuclei detection is an important task in the histology domain as it is a main step toward further analysis such as cell counting, cell segmentation, study of cell connections, etc. This is a challenging task due to complex texture of histology image, variation in shape, and touching cells. To tackle these hurdles, many approaches have been proposed in the literature where deep learning methods stand on top in terms of performance. Hence, in this paper, we propose a novel framework for nuclei detection based on Mixture Density Networks (MDNs). These networks are suitable to map a single input to several possible outputs and we utilize this property to detect multiple seeds in a single image patch. A new modified form of a cost function is proposed for training and handling patches with missing nuclei. The probability maps of the nuclei in the individual patches are next combined to generate the final image-wide result. The experimental results show the state-of-the-art performance on complex colorectal adenocarcinoma dataset.
KeywordsMixture density network Histology Nuclei detection
- 7.Akakin, H.C., et al.: Automated detection of cells from immunohistochemically-stained tissues: application to Ki-67 nuclei staining. In: Medical Imaging 2012: Computer-Aided Diagnosis. Volume 8315, International Society for Optics and Photonics (2012) 831503Google Scholar
- 10.Thomas, R.M., John, J.: A review on cell detection and segmentation in microscopic images. In: 2017 International Conference on Circuit, Power and Computing Technologies (ICCPCT), pp. 1–5. IEEE (2017)Google Scholar
- 15.Bishop, C.M.: Mixture density networks. Technical report. Citeseer (1994)Google Scholar
- 16.Xie, W., Noble, J.A., Zisserman, A.: Microscopy cell counting and detection with fully convolutional regression networks. Comput. Methods Biomech. Biomed. Eng.: Imaging Vis. 6(3), 283–292 (2018)Google Scholar
- 17.He, K., Zhang, X., Ren, S., Sun, J.: Deep residual learning for image recognition. In: Proceedings of the IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, pp. 770–778 (2016)Google Scholar