Context Awareness and Ambient Intelligence
The core issues of this chapter are context awareness and ambient intelligence and how they are deployed in the emerging wearable technologies. The analysis is based on the examples of bots, social robots such as Alexa, and such smart sensors that adapt external environment to individual needs. In this chapter the author argues that context awareness will become one of the most important features in the future IoT developments. Moreover, the foundations and future prospects of the ambient intelligence paradigm are discussed.
KeywordsContext Awareness Ambient intelligence Pervasive computing Ubiquitous computing Profiling Context awareness Human-centric design ELIZA Alexa Chatbots
- “Alexa Dev Days.” 2018. Developer.amazon.com.
- Alsudais, A., and E. Keller. 2017. “Hey Network, Can You Understand Me?” In 2017 IEEE Conference on Computer Communications Workshops (INFOCOM WKSHPS), 193–98. Atlanta: IEEE.Google Scholar
- Anders, George. 2017. “Alexa, Understand Me.” MIT Technology Review, August 9. Technologyreview.com.
- Calvo, R. A., and D. Peters. 2014. Positive Computing: Technology for Wellbeing and Human Potential. Cambridge: MIT Press.Google Scholar
- Ciechanowski, Leon, Aleksandra Przegalinska, and Krzysztof Wegner. 2018. “The Necessity of New Paradigms in Measuring Human–Chatbot Interaction.” In Advances in Cross-Cultural Decision Making, edited by Mark Hoffman, 205–14. Cham: Springer.Google Scholar
- Cook, Diane J., Juan C. Augusto, and Vikramaditya R. Jakkula. 2009. “Ambient Intelligence: Technologies, Applications, and Opportunities.” Pervasive and Mobile Computing 5 (4): 277–98.Google Scholar
- Filipe, Porfirio, and Nuno Mamede. 2010. “Ambient Intelligence Interaction via Dialogue Systems.” In Ambient Intelligence, edited by Felix Jesus Villanueva, 109–123. IntechOpen.Google Scholar
- “Gartner Hype Cycle.” 2018. Gartner.com.
- Leviathan, Yaniv, and Yossi Matias. 2018. “Google Duplex: An AI System for Accomplishing Real-World Tasks Over the Phone.” May 8. Ai.googleblog.com.
- Marchick, Adam. 2017. “The 2017 Voice Report by Alpine (fka Voice Labs).” January 15. Alpine.ai.
- Morrissey, Kellie, and Jurek Kirakowski. 2013. “‘Realness’ in Chatbots: Establishing Quantifiable Criteria.” In International Conference on Human-Computer Interaction, edited by M. Kurosu, 87–96. Berlin: Springer.Google Scholar
- Weizenbaum, Joseph, and John McCarthy. 1977. Computer Power and Human Reason: From Judgment to Calculation. San Francisco: W. H. Freeman.Google Scholar
- Wright, David, Serge Gutwirth, Michael Friedewald, Elena Vildjiounaite, and Yves Punie. 2008. Safeguards in a World of Ambient Intelligence. Dordrecht: Springer.Google Scholar
- Yu, K., T. Zhao, P. Zhao, and J. Zhang. 2017. “Extraction of Protein-Protein Interactions Using Natural Language Processing Based Pattern Matching.” In 2017 IEEE International Conference on Bioinformatics and Biomedicine (BIBM), 1292–99. Kansas City: IEEE.Google Scholar
- Zelkha, Eli, et al. 1998. “From Devices to Ambient Intelligence.” Digital Living Room Conference 6.Google Scholar