Resisting Post-truth Whiteness: The Grassroots as Sites of Black Radical Activism
In this chapter, Ornette D. Clennon traces the colonial origins of ‘post-truth’ politics. Clennon also ponders whether we are witnessing the final iteration of neoliberalism where colonial racial templates of social ordering have been liminally deracialised and adopted by the profit-obsessed market in order to subject an ever-widening demographic to social inequality. Clennon finally wonders what the impact of this market development will have on grassroots community self-determination.
KeywordsWhiteness Post-truth Black Radicalism Grassroots communities Market
- Allen, K. (2016, April 15). BAME Graduates ‘2.5 Times More Likely to Be Jobless Than White Peers’. Retrieved from The Guardian. http://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/apr/15/bame-graduates-25-times-more-likely-to-be-jobless-than-white-peers.
- Baudrillard, J. (1981). Simulacra and Simulation. Ann Arbor: University Michigan Press.Google Scholar
- Bentham, J. (1787). Panopticon: Or the Inspection-House. Dublin: Thomas Byrne.Google Scholar
- Bourdieu, P. (1984). Distinction: A Social Critique of the Judgement of Taste (R. Nice, Trans.). Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.Google Scholar
- Bourdieu, P., & Passeron, J.-C. (2000 ). Reproduction in Education, Society and Culture (R. Nice, Trans.). London: Sage.Google Scholar
- Bradley, P. (1998). Slavery, Propaganda, and the American Revolution. Jackson: University of Mississippi.Google Scholar
- Butler, J. (1997). The Psychic Life of Power. Stanford: Stanford University Press.Google Scholar
- Cameron, D. (2010, July 19). Big Society Speech. Retrieved from GOV.UK. https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/big-society-speech.
- Casey, L. (2016, December 5). The Casey Review: A Review into Opportunity and Integration. Retrieved from GOV.UK. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/the-casey-review-a-review-into-opportunity-and-integration.
- Césaire, A. (1972). Discourse on Colonialism. New York and London: Monthly Review Press. Available at http://www.rlwclarke.net/theory/SourcesPrimary/CesaireDiscourseonColonialism.pdf. Retrieved from rwlclarke.net.
- Clennon, O. D. (2015). Urban Dialectics, the Market and Youth Engagement: The ‘Black’ Face of Eurocentrism. New York: Nova Science Publishers.Google Scholar
- Clennon, O. D. (2016a, December 4). Populism, the Era of Trump and the Rise of the Far Right. Retrieved from opendemocracyUK. https://www.opendemocracy.net/ornette-d-clennon/populism-era-of-trump-and-rise-of-far-right.
- Clennon, O. D. (2016b). The Black Face of Eurocentrism: Uncovering Globalisation. In O. D. Clennon (Ed.), International Perspectives of Multiculturalism: The Ethical Challenges (pp. 91–128). New York: Nova Science Publishers.Google Scholar
- Clennon, O. D. (2016c, December 9). Conversing with Frantz Fanon in the Fade to Black Film Festival. Retrieved from Academic Creative Enterprise. https://ornettedclennon.me/2016/12/10/conversing-with-frantz-fanon-in-the-fade-to-black-film-festival-9-12-16/.
- Clennon, O. D. (2017). The Polemics of C.L.R. James and Contemporary Black Activism. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan.Google Scholar
- Clennon, O. D. (2018). Manchester Supplementary School Network (MSSN) Policy Brief: Integrated Communities Strategy Green Paper. Manchester: Manchester Metropolitan University.Google Scholar
- Dada, Z., & Ferjani, B. (2016, December 5). Immigrant Hustle in the Face of Gentrification. Retrieved from Media Diversified. https://mediadiversified.org/2016/12/05/immigrant-hustle-in-the-face-of-gentrification/.
- Du Bois, W. (1903). The Souls of Black Folk: Essays and Sketches (2nd ed.). Chicago: A. C. McClurg & Co.Google Scholar
- Erichsen, C., & Olusoga, D. (2010). The Kaiser’s Holocaust: Germany’s Forgotten Genocide and the Colonial Roots of Nazism. London: Faber and Faber.Google Scholar
- Fanon, F. (1963). Concerning Violence. In The Wretched of the Earth (C. Farrington, Trans., pp. 35–106). New York: Grove Press.Google Scholar
- Ferrari, N. (2016, December 20). Farage: Brendan Cox Knows More About Extremism Than Me. Retrieved from LBC. http://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/nick-ferrari/farage-brendan-cox-knows-more-about-extremism/.
- Fields, B. J. (1982). Ideology and Race in American History. In J. M. Kousser & J. M. McPherson (Eds.), Region, Race and Reconstruction (pp. 143–177). Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Fields, B. J. (1990, May/June). Slavery, Race and Ideology in the United States of America. New Left Review, 181, 95–118.Google Scholar
- Flood, A. (2016, November 15). ‘Post-truth’ Named Word of the Year by Oxford Dictionaries. Retrieved from The Guardian. https://www.theguardian.com/books/2016/nov/15/post-truth-named-word-of-the-year-by-oxford-dictionaries?CMP=twt_books_b-gdnbooks.
- Gordon, L. (2016, February 10). Disposable Life. Retrieved from Vimeo: Histories of Violence. https://vimeo.com/154827028.
- GOV.UK. (2017, September 8). The Lammy Review: The Final Report. Retrieved from GOV.UK. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/lammy-review-final-report.
- GOV.UK. (2018, March 6). The Race Disparity Audit. Retrieved from GOV.UK. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/race-disparity-audit.
- Haddad, L. (2016, December 19). Speaking the Truth in the Post-truth Era. Retrieved from Aljazeera.com. http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/2016/12/speaking-truth-post-truth-era-161218111206262.html.
- Hayek, F. (1976). The Market-Order or Catallaxy. In F. Hayek, Law, Legislation and Liberty (Vol. 2, pp. 107–132). London: Routledge & Kegan Paul.Google Scholar
- HM Government. (2018). Integrated Communities: Strategy Green Paper. London: Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government. Available here https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/696993/Integrated_Communities_Strategy.pdf.
- Horkheimer, M., & Adorno, T. (1944 ). Dialectic of Enlightenment: Philosophical Fragments (G. S. Noerr, Ed., E. Jephcott, Trans.). London and Stanford, CA: Stanford University Press.Google Scholar
- Lorde, A. (1988). A Burst of Light: Essays. Ithaca, NY: Firebrand Books.Google Scholar
- Maldonado Torres, N. (2005). Frantz Fanon and C.L.R. James on Intellectualism and Enlightened Rationality. Caribbean Studies, 33(2), 149–194.Google Scholar
- Matthews-King, A. (2017, November 16). Landmark Study Links Tory Austerity to 120,000 Deaths. Retrieved from The Independent. https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/tory-austerity-deaths-study-report-people-die-social-care-government-policy-a8057306.html.
- Mills, C. W. (1997). The Racial Contract. Ithaca, NY: Cornell University Press.Google Scholar
- Nora, P. (1996). General Introduction: Between Memory and History. In L. D. Krtizmann (Ed.), Realms of Memory: Rethinking the French Past, Volume 1: Conflict and Divisions (A. Goldhammer, Trans., pp. 1–20). New York: Columbia University Press.Google Scholar
- Olsson, G. (Director). (2014). Concerning Violence [Motion Picture]. Helsinki.Google Scholar
- Phipps, C. (2016, November 4). British Newspapers React to Judges’ Brexit Ruling: ‘Enemies of the People’. Retrieved from The Guardian. https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/nov/04/enemies-of-the-people-british-newspapers-react-judges-brexit-ruling.
- Simmel, G. (1971). Georg Simmel: On Individuality and Social Forms (D. Levine, Ed.). Chicago, IL: University of Chicago Press.Google Scholar
- Sodha, S., Helm, T., & Inman, P. (2016, May 28). Economists Overwhelmingly Reject Brexit in Boost for Cameron. Retrieved from The Guardian. https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/may/28/economists-reject-brexit-boost-cameron.
- Watkins, J., Wulaningsih, W., Da Zhou, C., Marshall, D. C., Sylianteng, G. D. C., Dela, P. G., et al. (2017). Effects of Health and Social Care Spending Constraints on Mortality in England: A Time Trend Analysis. BMJ Open, 7(e017722). https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjopen-2017-017722. Available at https://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/bmjopen/7/11/e017722.full.pdf.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Weigel, M. (2016, November 30). Political Correctness: How the Right Invented a Phantom Enemy. Retrieved from The Guardian. https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/nov/30/political-correctness-how-the-right-invented-phantom-enemy-donald-trump?CMP=share_btn_tw.
- Clennon, O. D. (2017). Community Resistance in a Neoliberal Post-truth Era: Is Self-Care Becoming a Radical Political act? The Political Anthropologist [website]. Available at http://www.politicalanthropologist.com/2017/04/05/community-resistance-neoliberal-post-truth-era-self-care-becoming-radical-political-act/.